Butyl tape question: new life?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by vdotmatrix, Aug 9, 2020.

1. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

I found some leftover butyl tape from the last major project a long time ago.

it measure 1 1/2” x 3/16” and still has paper in the roll. So although it is not HARD, sorta pliable.

would i want to put this in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften it up to revitalize it like you sorta can to with a roll of stubborn masking tape?

thanks

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Not sure how that would work. I just threw out pretty much a full, new roll... was installing my new vent and couldn’t get the paper separated from the putty.... very frustrating!

3. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

I guess I am just going to cut off a piece, stick it in the microwave and see if it rejuvenates the putty by heating it...thanks anyway

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

When we did some replacement vents, and such on the trailer this year, we still had butyl tape left from the renovation of our first pup, 10 years ago. We'd used it when needed through the years, this year it was just too dry to bother, we bought new. Not expensive, we decided it was important enough to keep water out for ceiling vent installs, etc. that we'd buy new, and it was less frustrating than trying to make the old stuff work.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Fresh butyl tape is better.

akriot and xxxapache like this.
  6. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Yeah, I know, just trying to avoid driving 64 miles RT to get this &^%$^%#$& project done.....

akriot likes this.
  7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Amazon delivers.

8. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Yes i have prime, but I want to do this right away.

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

The stuff I just got from Amazon was crap.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Yes, thats another reason i have drive to actually see product and speak to the folks at this shop. I dont trust buying some things sight unseen...

11. Goforit

Goforit Member

Is a Home Depot closer? They carry butyl tape. It's not as wide as your roll though.

12. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Thank you, i am going to retape the roof that has the soft side that i will replace in the fall, but i wanted to protect It in case it is leaking. home depot is just down the street.

if some knucklehead put silicone on an area how can one remove the silicone ?

13. Goforit

Goforit Member

In my shops, silicone was considered a contaminant in certain installations. Once used it is extremely difficult to remove and nothing else will stick to it.

14. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Well i discovered there is butyl twpe and there is the putty stuff. The butyl is much stickier...my bad...so i bought the butyl.

15. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

IMG_3152.JPG IMG_3153.JPG IMG_3156.JPG IMG_3157.JPG IMG_3161.JPG Geez, I bought the very sticky, thinner butyl tape upon recommendation of one of the employees...thanks for nuttin .... The molding on my pup will accommodate 1 1/2" of putty tape.... They sold me 1" and some proflex, and said the one 1' stuff will smooth out and miraculously seal the corner---BS.

When I removed the molding I was not surprised with what I saw in the sidewall: UTTER HORROR.

But what I did notice was the PO used thin butyl tape like he sold me today and it appears to have failed more on the corners than the middle....It is a disaster..... I opened it today because I needed to see what I was going to be up against when I finally attempt a repair this fall.

I went back and bought the 1 1/2" x 3/16 putty tape.... HEY it is plenty sticky and it is going to form a very good bond.

I think this stuff should be inspected and replaced every couple years or else.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  16. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

I put a slice of the old putty in microwave .... for 30 seconds... nothing happened....didn't heat up...abandoned that idea...just bought a new roll.

neighbormike likes this.