Buy Tires With Rims or Not?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by tdstropes, May 3, 2009.

1. tdstropes

tdstropes New Member

I bought our 2001 pop up used two years ago. As far as I know it still has the original tires on it. They look in good shape but just to be on the safe side I was going to replace them. The rims look in good shape too so here is the question. Should I buy tires and mount them on the original rims or should I buy tires already on a set of rims and why. The tires are 4.80x12.

2. cro1972

cro1972 Member

If you have a VIP near you check them out. They have some killer prices for both tire only and tire and rim together

3. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

compare the price of the tire/rim combo with the cost of just the tires + mounting and balancing onto your old rims.

sometimes it is just cheaper to buy the combo, sometimes it is not. and if your old tires are still decent, hold onto them as EmergencY spares....

4. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

IMHO that is kind of like asking someone if they should drink Pepsi or Coke. [:P]

I agree though, check around. Of course if you do not have a spare for your camper then most certainly buy at least 1 tire rim combo.

5. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

I bought a set of tires from Tires Unlimited and they had a set of rims for $18.00. Mounting the tires was free, so I figured it would not make sense not to get rims. Also, I wanted to keep my old tires mounted on rims and use the old tires for off season storage. So, rims made sense to me.

6. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

off season storage... clever !
    that is a great idea, and will keep the new tires in shape for the next year. thank you for sharing that thought [RTM]. great idea.

7. John L

John L New Member

Our PUP takes 13 inch tires 6 ply.and I just bought two of them at Tractor Supply and had my mechanic mount and balance them on the old rims. They cost $74 per tire and $12 for mounting. They are actually a large tire. I hope the suckers last a few years. Our camper is a 2002 but the old tires started developing cracks.

8. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Rockwood told us to use oxyclean to clean everything on the pup. Some good results, but I also use a magic eraser on some tough stains. It seem to work well. Let us all know what did work for you.

9. GMCBEAR

GMCBEAR New Member

I'm actually just about to replace my tires. The tread is good but I formed deep cracks within the tread. They sat for 3 years in the former owners yard. I'm only getting rubber because the wheels are perfect and I just painted them. It's up to you though, I would LOVE to get some chrome 5 spoke wheels for it but the $$$ just isn't there.

10. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

It's a good idea to have the wheels and tires balanced after purchase. Regardless of whether you buy just tires or both together. You just can't trust that the tires have stayed balanced during shipping and storage. It's a small price to pay.