Buying first pop-up (used), 1997 Dutchmen vs. 2001 Coleman Cheyenne

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by sjbarbour, Mar 28, 2020.

1. sjbarbour

sjbarbour New Member

Hello! New to this site, as I will soon be new to pop-up camping. I've been a long time tent camper and want to see what a pop-up would be like; therefore, buying used to begin. I am currently looking at a 1997 Dutchmen and a 2001 Coleman Cheyenne. I don't know much about either brands. I also am not able to go look at either of them at this time (COVID-shelter in place), so I am doing as much research as I can. Besides not knowing which camper is better (rating), I'm not sure where the price point should be.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

1997 Dutchmen 1006 D
    asking $2800
    The interior has been remodeled and looks great!!
    Doesn't have a working fridge
    Says no tears in canvas or leaks

2001 Coleman Cheyenne
    asking $3200
    Same interior, looks very well taken care of and clean
    Says no tears in canvas or leaks
    Working fridge, hot-water heater
    Upgraded: professional flip for more ground clearance, upgrade tires/rims- St215/7SR14, roof rack for 2 bikes and a cage

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

IF (and that's a BIG if) the ABS Strata roof shows no signs of failure then hands down the 2001 Cheyenne would be the better of the two, by far. However, you'd want to "edumacate" yourself about Fleetwood's ABS Strata roof so you clearly understand how this roof can fail and what those failures mean in terms of repair.

3. Dan and Becky

Dan and Becky New Member

No experience with a coleman pup, but can tell you that My wife and I bought a 98 dutchmen last year and are really happy with it. Not sure of your location, but in N. Indiana, we got ours for $2000 with a/c and great condition, ready to go camping. $2800 might be bit steep, again, not sure what pups are going for at your location.
    Hope this helps you a little.
    Dan

Melissa Freeman likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from Dukes Fl. Take the time to really check everything in the PUP and outside, the seller should take the time to explain all too you and have the reefer cooled down etc. Good Luck and Happy Camping

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from Dukes Fl. You might find some good ideas and lists in camper pre purchase forum on here for ideas concerning check out etc. Good luck ad Happy Camping

6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm afraid I can't provide much help with your choices, but wanted to welcome you to the forum from Midway USA.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Tbh, it depends on the condition. You can only judge that yourself. If you want the 3 way fridge, colman. If thats not i.portant look at the other one first. All will have problems eventually and need maintance.

8. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

At that age, I'd just assume you'll find various problems after you put it into use. Unless they was stored indoor they will have some kind or water damage. Of course, vinyl that age might be showing its age as well. Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png

One trouble spot on the Coleman is the front compartment leaking. Something to look carefully at.

10. Melissa Freeman

Melissa Freeman New Member

We bought a 95 Dutchman 1001xs last year for $1000. It didn't come with AC and we replaced the lift cable bc there was a fray in. We got the cable from the Goshen Stamp company for $36 and our son has a pop up AC unit we can have. The camper had been stored indoors and had a fairly new canvas and roof. I think $2800 sounds pretty high imo.

11. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Personally, I’d only buy that Cheyenne if it was a screaming hot deal. It has 2 of the 3 biggest flaws in Coleman’s history. The infamous ABS roof (or replaced with the Alumitite, which has its own issues and is the 3rd of the 3) and the integrated storage box, both of which are ticking time bombs that will eventually fail and cause major headaches. If the roof is still the original ABS and has any hint of sag, RUN, not walk, from it. There’s really no way of fixing that short of rebuilding an entire roof from scratch out of different materials. If is just delaminating or has some cracks or even looks perfect at the moment, research fixing it with Grizzly Grip on here because it will need it eventually. If you don’t have dry space or time for such a repair, again run away. Be sure to check the storage box for any leaks. The lids and seals are notorious for leaking and rotting out the floor and walls of the entire front end of the pup. So if was a screamer of a deal, like under $1,000 I might take the risk knowing that I’d likely have to pour a bunch more time and money into it.

Both Coleman and Dutchmen are out of the pop up business, so factory parts are no longer available from either. There’s still some new old stock floating around for Coleman’s, but it’s getting rarer and more expensive as time goes by. On the Dutchmen, it uses a Goshen lift, so you can easily get OEM parts the lift for cheap directly from Goshen for probably a long time to come since virtually all new pups use their system almost exclusively, with some small brands being exceptions.

The Dutchmen will be more traditionally built, so find and follow the checklist on here of what to look at when shopping. Look hard for any signs of leaks or water damage.

12. Becky Roque

Becky Roque Member Gold Supporting Member

I just bought a 1983 pop up, no stove or fridge, just a sink but I’m good with that. I would say if you can afford the new one get that, but remodel is fun, esp if they just did wiring and hoses. Have fun!

FARfetched and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  13. momma j

momma j New Member

Be careful of the Coleman due to the abs roof. We bought 97 Coleman keywest several years ago. Shortly after, the roof started to sag and the abs roofing began to peel off in pieces. We ended up installing roof braces inside to fix sag and coated the outside of roof with grizzly grip. Quite a shame because everything else about the camper was in mint condition. One other thing is that our Coleman is very heavy compared to a pup that our friends have but I can't remember what kind they have. Do your research. Google and YouTube can help. At any rate you will love being a pup owner so good luck!

14. iRHPatterson

iRHPatterson New Member

I own a 2001 Coleman Cheyenne. While what others say above is technically true, you must remember that it does not impact EVERY Coleman Cheyenne that was ever built. Ours is in great shape and we love it. The storage container up front has had no issues and is a great benefit. The roof, almost 20 years old now has NEVER had a problem. According to many reviews out there, most of the issues with the ABS roof have happened in the first 2-3 years. If there is no damage to this roof now, there probably will not be, specifically due to the ABS issue.

We absolutely love our Coleman pop-up. We are heading out for some quality “social distancing” tomorrow as a matter of fact, for the weekend. The Cheyenne is a great camper, others have some had issues, of course, as with any product, but ours has been a great experience. Personally, I would buy the Cheyenne, but, I am biased, I am a VERY satisfied Cheyenne owner!!! HAPPY CAMPING!!!!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  15. Tcdoughboy

Tcdoughboy New Member

Hi
    I have been in the RV business for 30 years, and approx 15 of those were as a coleman dealer. yes I agree with those who suggest the top may or might be an issue. The failure of the top which were built by BASF are a major problem. If you stand at the back and can see that there is a rse front to back and from the side a rise side to side, and that the rubber seal between the top and the aluminum body frame is still tight and that the rubber doesn't appear to hang out over the edge...if these appear good, then you may have a good roof. The roofs change shape depending on the weather, sun, temp, etc etc. Coleman had a 40% failure rate on their roofs....I replaced many of them. You will have little or NO success in repairing. No the good stuff. If the roof looks good, then the Cheyanne is the better choice if the price is right. If you look the storage compartment and look at the floor and see a purple stain in the vinyl floor, then you've looked at an area with a leak either from under the floor or around the top seal....the floor is nearly impossible to repair. The major diff between the other trailers and the coleman is that Coleman is only company to use a breathable fabric...THIS IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE. With a breathable fabric you have less moisture build up inside when using, and a better chance the fabric wont mildew. Parts are available from after market companies. Having sold lots of both, I'd still go with the coleman....but both are over priced.

16. Alan

Alan Active Member

Looks like a no brainer, if the Coleman is well cared for, everything works and it's clean I would go for that over one that has been "remodeled" to possibly cover up issues they were having. I would have the owner demonstrate every component before paying anything though. For price reference, we bought our 2003 Westlake for $3,300.00, from a Northern California owner, 3 years ago, in very good over-all condition - like the inside looked almost new. Still I ended up replacing all marker lights outside, the facet, battery and hitch wiring connector and putting new tires on it. All of this puts the cost of our PUP at about $4,200.00 total.