Buying new TV

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by kgin, Jun 23, 2009.

1. kgin

kgin New Member

I'm thinking about buying either a 2009 Honda Pilot or a 2009 Saturn Outlook is anyone towing with these?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would say Honda. If you are set on the Saturn, which is hard to get fixed now.... a next year ...... maybe no more.......look at a chevy traverse.

3. mtn_bikers

mtn_bikers Northern NJ

We tow with the '09 Honda Pilot and haven't had any issues. We chose it because it had a decent tow rating (4500 lbs), and came with the tow package standard. The only thing we needed to have installed was the wiring harness for the camper's electric brakes.

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

It would probably be a good idea also, if you told us what Pup you will be towing?

5. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Ray I am going to respectfully diagree.

The Saturn Outlook is a virtual clone of the GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse/Buick Enclave.

The powertrain is exactly the same, the difference are some options and the trim. No doubt in my mind at all that you will be able to pull into a Chevy dealer a year or two or five from now and get all the parts you need.

So my suggestion is to look at all of them, and see where you can get the best deal. Don't assume that Saturn dealers will give you a better deal, you should shop it.

Both are IMHO opinon decent vehicles, I think you need to bring the whole family and sit in it. The Gm vehicles are slightly larger inside. Much depends on the trim level. I think the base GM gets better mileage than the Pilot, but the upper trim Pilot has cylinder de-activation(probably wouldn't help when towing much).

James

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I vote Honda anything over GM anything, especially right now, and especially if you are wanting a vehicle for the long haul. I'd want a vehicle that I know I could get parts and service for easily. With GM dumping dealers, getting one of their vehicles worked on or the needed parts might prove more difficult down the road.

While the GM might be a good vehicle, there is little doubt in my mind that the Honda is a fine vehicle.

7. my3kids

my3kids New Member

We considered all these vehicles but passed for 3 reasons. They weren't quite roomy enough, it didn't have enough realistic tow capacity (nevermind manufacturer's rated tow numbers) and NONE of these otherwise decent vehicles has a full size spare tire. Small donut spares will just not cut it when you're out on the road, they're rated for only 50miles and max 50mph. It just bugs me to no end to not have a full size spare tire ...

At least on paper the Saturn Outlook seems the lowest priced although we liked the Buick Enclave the best even though its based on the same GM platform. We liked all the shiny fake chrome on the Buick ... we must be getting old. :)

We settled on old school full frame instead. A honking V8 with great torque down low never works up a sweat, lots of room for kids and their friends and their gear. Big tow capacity, self leveling suspension, factory class IV tow package and lots of confidence while towing.

We went with an Armada but the Lincoln Navigator was close 2nd, a Cadillac Escalade was a distant 3rd.

Just my 2 cents,
    Ray + lovely wife + our 3 kids
    07 Fleetwood Saratoga
    08 Nissan Armada

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Some Saturn facts; Even if they are made by GM, only Saturn dealers can get Saturn only parts and do warranty work. So if your Saturn dealer closes, you have a problem. If you haven't hear, Saturn has been sold by GM. I am in the car business, and the car business thinks Saturn has a terminal disease. A very poor investment. What was the value of an 2 year old Oldsmobile or Daewoo when they were not sold anymore. Buy the Honda, it will hold its value.

9. kgin

kgin New Member

Thanks everybody!
    Right noww I have a Jayco 1006 so towing won't be a problem, but I'm sure I'll have a new camper within the lifetime of my new TV so I would like the ability to tow something bigger. As much as I'd love a full size SUV, I have a 40+ minute commute so fuel economy is an issue. I've test drove both and I think I'm going to talk $$$ with the Honda dealer tomorrow.
    Thanks again
    -K

10. pixel

pixel Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes. Unkn.

If you go with the Pilot and want to upgrade, there are only a couple of hybrids that can be hauled by a Pilot. My friend just went through this. The camper dealers saw what she had and told her flat out: we can't sell you what you want, your vehicle can't do it. She was getting very frustrated.

They eventually found a small hybrid, and are happy.

I am not sure how hers is rated. (I do not know if it is a lower end model or higher end all bells and whistles model).

Good Luck! There is this no mans land in TV today. The vehicles just do not exist in this mid towing range.

Pixel

11. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

Ray,

I don't need to do my homework, I work with dealers day in and day out, from all manufacturers. Saturn Warranties will be honored by GM, and if that isnt' enough, the US and Canadian Gov'ts promised to back GM warranties as part of the auto bailout package.

The Outlook is built at the same physical location as the Acadia. The vast majority of the parts are exactly the same. And you know as well as I that the same third party parts makers that create the original parts will continue to make after market parts for years.

Penske bought Saturn, and Penske is well know in the car business as a pretty sharp operator.

I'm not sure about the Tow rating comment, the older models were 4500 lbs, 2009s are 5200 lbs. Thats fine for just about any PUP, even with a healthy margin for optimistic manufacturers.

James

James

12. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

I have to agree with James here. There is no way GM as a whole will be going anywhere any time soon, and finding parts and or service for a Saturn or any other GM product currently produced will not be an issue. I am not a big fan of GM, but I would buy a vehicle from them before I ever bought anything from Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. Part of what has gotten these companies and the country as a whole into the financial druthers that its in has been the attitude of so many to not buy products produced here. I dont want to start a political or financial debate here though.

13. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

For the record, I've never owned a GM vehicle, I have owned both Domestics (Ford and Chrysler) and foreign (Toyota, Nissan and Mazda). My dad is a big GM fan, always had a GM pickup, two of my brothers have had over 20 years each with Ford trucks. I had to laugh recently when my brother with his 2008 F150 asked to borrow my dads 1995 GMC Sierra to make a long trip because it got better mileage.

I don't have anything against Honda Pilots, I understand why someone may want one over a GM. Honda makes outstanding engines that are durable, their fit and finish is generally better than GM's. But the comparable GM products are less expensive and larger inside, get better gas mileage (on paper at least), and are rated with a higher towing capacity (on paper). I would always suggest looking at the options and buying what seems right.

I've worked directly with all the makers, some are easier to work with than others. But I try not to let that colour my opinion of their vehicles.

James

14. critter

critter Member

I have a large bias towards Honda's and the future of Honda is not in any doubt. I have never met an unsatisfied Honda Pilot owner, but I am not naive to believe that they don't exist. I have met plenty of Saturn owners that have disavowed Saturn all together. So, with all things being equal, I think you would be much happier with the Honda for the long haul IMHO.

15. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

You havent met the owner of the company I work for then. He had his Pilot in the shop almost as much as he drove it.