Bypassing Galley Kill Switch

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Jhunt012, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

My galley kill switch is broken. Until I can round up a new one, is there any risk in simply bypassing it by connecting the two wires? Of course I will need to be sure everything is turned off but other than that anything I need to consider? Thanks so much for your time and advice.

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Buy a new one. Campers World sells them or you can order them on-line and have one in two three days

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

what does campers world call them?

4. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I would not bypass the switch I would get a new one, they are there for a good reason..

6. dcbain

dcbain New Member

Don't do it! Fitting a replacement is easy and cheap; I replaced mine with a conventional long arm microswitch. Perhaps more importantly, it's easier to explain to your insurance company after the event than having to say that you disabled a safety device!

7. not_camping

not_camping New Member

Until you get a replacement switch, there is no inherent danger in twisting the two wires together with a wire nut. It sounds like you know this a temporary stop-gap measure and to be extra cautious in the meantime. No other special considerations exist.

wmadoty and Bill McCall like this.
  8. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

If it were me I'd make a jumper to fit where the switch is so there would be no cut wires.... then go camping while I wait for the new switch to come in the mail.

9. R00

R00 Active Member

∆∆∆ This ∆∆∆

wmadoty likes this.
  10. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Same as Ductape said.

I'd stay away from a wire nut unless you taped the heck out of it to keep it there. Remember that this thing gets a lot of vibration traveling down the road. Once used a wire nut to bypass the lid switch on a washer. A month or so later the wife was complaining about a feeling she was getting when doing laundry. The inlaws had arrived that night. I felt like an idiot...

There is no electrical problem with bypassing it, so long as you are completely certain that all roof lights are out before you close up. Just don't leave it that way for very long and certainly don't leave it that way if/when you sell your camper.

wmadoty and Bill McCall like this.
  11. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

I agree with making a jumper and you should disconnect the jumper when you pack the trailer up. Just to make sure the bedding does not activate a light and burn a hold in the fabric. It is not worth (time or money) leaving the jumper in place and risk having to replaceing/ patching the tenting.

12. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

14. The Hillbilly Hilton

The Hillbilly Hilton New Member

I had the same problem and just twisted the wires together. I don't travel with the battery unless dry camping to keep down the weight.

So as long as you disconnect shore power, nothing should be working when you put the top down anyway. (I don't think the lights can work off the car battery).

Just pull them apart before closing just to be sure.

15. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the switch has the standard push on lug things. Usually a blade fuse will fit them perfectly and that is a great jumper. Like everyone else says, replace the switch when you can, but it is not a problem to run without it as long as you do not leave lights, furnace or water pumps on. I'd unplug shore power and battery before I closed it up just to be safe.

If you know a furnace guy, the door switches on some furnaces are the same switch.

16. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Slip a regular toggle switch onto the wires until the new switch comes. After all this discussion on it, you won't forget to flip the switch when popping down.

17. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We had one fail during a camp outing last season... I taped the two wires together while we camped (using first aid tape, the only kind we had around), then when we packed up, I disconnected them, taped over the ends, then fixed it properly when we got home.

You don't want to risk leaving the lights on... even if you turn them off they can work back on due to vibrations, etc. And there was a big thread awhile back about someone who had burned big holes in the canvas due to the lights being left on.

18. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Boy, Jhunt012, I bet you're sure wishing you had never asked the question now after all of this. It's not always like this.

19. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

Thanks everybody for all of the replies. I am about to swing by a local RV dealers parts department to see what they have. I am planning to use the camper Monday and Tuesday night so if I cannot find a good solution between now and then I will just connect the wires either using your wire nut or jumper.

I'm assuming that as long as I disconnect the battery after leaving the campsite then there is really no risk in any harm being done. Obviously I'd like to fix it the proper way but just looking for a short-term solution until I can do that.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks!

20. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Actually, disconnecting the battery may not be sufficient depending on the hookup between your PUP and the tow vehicle. It can supply 12 volts DC and depending on how the manufacturer wired everything, could energize the 12 volt system inside the PUP.

If you're going to go this route, undo the wire nut or jumper where the broken switch was. THIS, along with disconnecting the battery, will ensure the lights don't come on.