Cabela's Brand Cooler

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by paepae805, May 13, 2020.

1. paepae805

paepae805 Member

I am wondering if anyone has invested in a Cabela's brand cooler. They are built similar to the Yeti brand but a little more affordable. My boss has one and rave's about it. He has gotten a week plus use on the initial bag(s) of ice. Currently we are using a 50qt Coleman cooler and the ice is melting within 24 hours in temps in the 70s, a lot quicker in the dead of summer. The only draw back is the unit doesn't have wheels, that is a feature I really like on our Coleman.

I am wondering if anyone has purchased the Cabela's brand cooler and seem satisfied with the purchase based on the $'s spent. I am looking @ the 60qt size and I just need to measure the front deck of the PUP to make sure it will fit securely. If so, I think I am going to pull the trigger.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I would check out you tube for reviews. I got a colman extream, while not a yedi it keeps ice for 5ish days. Depends on weather and opening. I dont think any brand got 7 days and had ice. I see if i can find some of the reviews.

xxxapache and kcsa75 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Theres a bunch of these on you tube. Just keep in mind the bigger the cooler, it will melt more because there is more air. Its a guide but you get the idea. The colman extreme 2 i got was like 20 buks 2 years ago on a x mass sale. Good luck.

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I'll second this. We needed another cooler a year or so ago and I'm too cheap to spend the money on a Yeti or similar. I'd heard good things about the Coleman Extreme and so far couldn't be happier. I usually throw an 8-pound bag of ice in with my beer and I'll have cold beer for several days -- and that's with a lot of opening and closing.

xxxapache and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I don't want an ice chest I'm worried someone will steal.

6. PA-Scott

PA-Scott Active Member

We bought a Coleman Express 5-day and just like what's already been said it will keep ice for 4-5 days depending on the frequency of opening it up and leaving it set in the shade vs. sun! I try to cool it down before we load it up and I usually place 1 or 2 1/2 gallon cartons of solid ice with the food. Then add crushed/cubed ice on top. By the time the solid melts I have ice cold water to drink. Win ~ Win if you ask me and it didn't cost me anywhere near $500-$700.

xxxapache, kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I have a Yeti 75 and bought it before Yeti raised their prices in 2013. I got it for the price that Cabela's is now selling their bands. If Cabela's brand coolers are comparable, then yes, you can get a week out of your ice. But not if it is 90*F for that week. If that week is in the 60 and 70's and the cooler is kept in the shade, maybe.

But Yeti and Cabela's brand cooler performance depend greatly on cooler management. If you prep (pre-cooled) the cooler properly, most of the coolers contents were pre-frozen and you kept from opening the cooler door to a minimum, the contents will stay cooler much longer.

If you want to buy one because you can save money on ice, it will take you a good while to make up that difference and shouldn't be your reason. The value comes in other areas such as convenience (less trips to the store for ice) and quality (tough, efficient, dependable, built to last).

Both Yeti and Cabela's brand coolers are heavy. Be warned.

I am on my eighth season with my Yeti and haven't regretted a second of that time. People that bash these coolers most likely have never owned one. If the Cabela's brand comes close to the Yeti, then you won't be disappointed.

8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

You can not go wrong with RTIC. If you check their site every week you'll eventually luck into when they throw out a sale price. I bought 3 of them 4 years ago and they're every bit as good as the Yeti's I have, and in some ways better. Just make sure you open the lid prior to opening the draincock or you'll be in for a surprise when you need a crowbar to get the lid open or you can wait an hour for the water to drain. The seal is that good. I've never had a Yeti do it but all 3 RTIC's do.

9. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

I also have a Yeti 75. I am totally satisfied with it. It is unbelievably bombproof. (Or bear proof, in Yeti-speak).

However, If I didn't own one, or if mine got stolen, I would absolutely get one of the knock offs. I don't think there is anything "magic" about the Yeti. All the knock off high-end coolers I've seen look great. Read the directions. I keep 5 frozen 2 liter soda bottles in my garage refrigerator. I use one to pre-cool the cooler the night before packing up. Then I use the other 4 in the cooler. 5 days later, without buying cubes, I still have ice in the bottles, and my kids are in and out of that cooler all day. If you are careful and don't open it much, and keep it in the shade, I don't think you would have trouble getting a week.

Also with the 2 liters, you don't get the disgusting "soup" in the bottom of the cooler after a few days.

10. BikeNFish

Hey Dave! We DO agree on some things. ;)

11. slowcarfast

slowcarfast Member

How long do you usually camp? For weekends, or long weekends I can't see any reason to upgrade from the Coleman Extreme which is like $30 at wally world. I have started freezing water in a couple 1/2 gallon or so old juice containers. That'll easily last a weekend, even on my canoe trips when I'm opening it every 30 minutes to grab a new beer [:D]

12. BikeNFish

I have never had to test my Yeti past seven days. I once had ice last seven days on a Canadian fishing trip when temperatures never got past the 60's*F with lows in the lows 40's. I once only got five days out of the Yeti because there were 5 straight days with the temperature in the low to mid 90's*F with lows in the 70's.

I keep my beverages in a separate cooler. That keeps my access to the Yeti to a minimum. Restocking the Yeti with warm beverages would also decreases the amount of time that the ice will last.

13. wusthof

wusthof Active Member

Bang for buck..... coleman xtreme here as well. Those yeti style coolers are great but are so damn small and if they are of a "normal" size, so daaamn expensive!

kcsa75 likes this.
  14. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I'm in the electric ARB fridge /freezer camp. Yes it is pricey but I never buy ice, and never have food floating in melted ice water.