Cabela's Deluxe Shower Shelter

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by backwoodsmama, Apr 9, 2013.

1. backwoodsmama

backwoodsmama New Member

I like that one, too, Misc!! Aww! Poor thing! You need to get it out and get it set up. Use it and enjoy it!

2. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Cabelas usually puts them on sale a couple times/yr so you can pick them up new for around $80. I bought my used for $60. Don't think they ever used it. Looks brand new.

If you're concerned about grey water, an easy collection system is a small kids blowup pool. As mentioned, it's not much water unless you're using the shower continously.

3. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

I look at those and think about putting a potty in it for the DW, but hey 40 bucks off is great.

4. logans

logans New Member

We started using one last year with a porta potty. Works great to avoid long late night hikes to the restroom.

5. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

This is what we use for a shower, we have a cassette toilet inside. As for gray water 4 water noddles cut to Lent and an old shower curtain traps the gray water then I got a 12 volt pond pump for $9.00 and a hose and pump the water out. While boondocking we let it drain out.
    [​IMG]
    it's two rooms one for dressing or potty one for shower
    [​IMG]
    then added extra hose to put it at the back if site was to narrow.
    [​IMG]
    made a shower head. The tent is Kmart/Sears about $59.00

6. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Where's the Jacuzzi? [LOL]

7. backwoodsmama

backwoodsmama New Member

Haha!! [:D]

8. Heartman_wa

DW tried to get me to get an inflatable one so she could use it camping. I thought that was over the top [LOL]

9. Sonshine

Sonshine Member

Heartman, do you have a link to that tent/shower? Thats pretty cool!!

10. Heartman_wa

11. PS_MI

PS_MI New Member

We have the Cabela's shelter and I use it all the time. It's a bit of a hassle to set up but is great once it's up. We always camp at rustic (state forest) campgrounds and I keep my porta-potti inside it so I don't have to run to the outhouse. It also doubles as a shower stall. I just slide the potti over to the side and there's plenty of room to shower.

I heat the water in a solar shower (or on the stove), dump it in a 5-gallon bucket and use a Zodi shower pump. I would not try hanging a solar shower bag inside it. My sister has one also and they use it all the time too.

12. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

We owned one and loved it, plenty of space to put your dry things while showering. Windows to access the water spigot, towel rods, what's not to like.

We camp in Minnesota and have never been approached by the ranger, and we have had one in the site most every trip.

I think the amount of grey in the water is minor. I believe the water itself would outweigh any negative effects of the grey.

Being a gardener there are many applications that call for soap, so as not to harm your plants.

13. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

This one looks like the deluxe cabelas shower, different colors, but pretty much the same. I suspect purchased from Wally World, you have a couple day return policy. Cabelas returns things for life, new, used, well used. You pay a bit more, best the piece of mind is worth it..

14. jdizzle

jdizzle New Member

That seems like a lot of money to me. I know it comes with the solar shower but when we were tent camping I bought a shower/utility tent from walmart and a solar shower for under $50. I thought it worked great! Just make sure you leave the water in the sun all day or your shower will be a cold one!

15. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread and I am resurrecting this from the dead (sorry) but I just had to chime in here as this came up in a search I was doing to see how folks are using theirs.

I have had the Cabelas Deluxe Shower Shelter now since 2005. It does not get a lot of use, but when I do use it, it is priceless. Some campgrounds offer great facilities, some none at all. Those that offer none, or really poor facilities, have no mention of gray water from TENTS, which the shower shelter is. They do not allow you to dump gray water from your onboard gray tank in your camper, but there is nothing against the rules saying you can't say use your outside shower with no gray collection, or a shower tent.

Think about it, tent campers have typically no way to capture gray water. They usually wash their dishes right where the water source is... And the few that do set up a privy tent with a shower, just let the gray water flow. Black is another story all together, and just straight out dumping black water will earn the violator expulsion if not a beat down by their neighbors...

But back to the Cabelas shelter. Like most other items I have gotten from Cabelas, their build quality is second to none. But this comes at a price. This shower shelter is easily twice the weight of competing units, and is not an item you just casually toss in with your gear if you MAY use it. You really have to think about it.... I have often considered selling it and replacing it with a less expensive, lighter weight, EZ up unit, but when I think about it I keep coming back to the following.

#1. This is easily the largest, roomiest single room privy tent I have ever seen listed anywhere. Being a big guy that means a LOT to me.
    #2. This is easily the sturdiest privy tent around. Good sturdy steel poles, and ruggedly designed and reinforced some sort of resin couplers that take a real beating. I have had EZ Ups ripped from the ground and twisted into a giant heap with sudden winds that won't even make this thing flinch...

Given that this model is now the discontinued unit, and the ones you are going to find are on the used market, IF you are in the market for the strongest, roomiest shower shelter out there, and can find one used in great shape, and are willing ot deal with the weight, I can highly recommend it...

16. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

This is the second time in a week that I have seen someone mention that the Cabela's Deluxe Shower Tent has been discontinued. I bought one last year and when I was in Cabela's last week, I saw one on the shelf.

Are we talking about a different model or style than the one from 2005?

17. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Yes, the new model is the EZ up variant with the knuckle system. Great rigs, but not the same... I think they discontinued the old model in 2014 in favor of the new one.

Honestly if I didn't have the one I did, and wasn't able to find one used locally, I would buy the new one. (there are 3 local that I know of, at laeast as of Friday...)

So just for clarification, this is the model that I have, that was on sale in 2005, and I believe was discontinued in 2014 or so...

[​IMG]

And this is the newer model that has the EZ up knuckle system.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    BikeNFish likes this.
  18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why but this just came up as a new item to read thread. I want to apologize for resurrecting an old thread a couple of posts back at the end of last year apparently I didn't notice this was from 2013.