Cabinet cover up

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by sunlite94, Sep 30, 2019.

1. sunlite94

sunlite94 New Member

I see a number of posts regarding painting the cabinets/walls of a pop up but nothing about just recovering them. Why is that? Is it because using contact paper won't last? Is it more difficult? Does it take too much time? I was looking at the peeling wall paper of our "not a technical" hybrid and wondering if I can just finish peeling what is left and replace it. I want to know the draw backs before I commit. I think it will cost about $60 depending on how 20191001_122338.jpg creative I choose to be. I would love feed back on this. Also, with the painting, how did you get the tacky stuff off the walls or did that just help the paint process? Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    EmilyW likes this.
  2. EmilyW

EmilyW Member

We painted ours. Contact paper seems to not always be heat resistant to the wear and tear of sitting in summer heat. Painting we used heavy Kiltz primer--two coats--, then 1 coat of Behr cabinet paint. Will see how it holds up! Prepped with good sanding.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

There is a reason you can't find paper hangers for your home. I wouldn't want to try cabinites in a pup.