Cabinets full of mold. Time to rebuild tips?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Sewing25, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Sewing25

Sewing25 New Member

So our NTU Bayside seemed great when we bought it but while cleaning it I discovered the drawer under the couch was wet. Then we discovered a great deal of mold in the corner of the cabinet it's built into. Not just black, white slimy stuff too. After regrouping and convincing myself I hadn't made a huge mistake buying the PUP in the first place I decided to build new cabinets. I am going with plywood, but does anyone know if I should paint the inside of my new cabinets? Will it help prevent problems down the line? The camper isn't leaking. I think they stored something like a coffee maker in it. Is there anything else I should consider while doing my rebuild?

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would look closer for a leak

3. Sewing25

Sewing25 New Member

1380ken we have not found any leaks even after we removed the couch. (How we found the mold) . The floor is solid and this was the top corner of the couch where it connects to the fridge cabinet where the mold is. The back wall is clean with no problems. Is there somewhere I am missing? It's a weird mystery. I know something was wet inside the drawer because the bottom only was wet when we bought it. I do know the side door of the storage box on the front leaked and caused damage to the bottom of the kitchen. Basically we are rebuilding half of the cabinets because of damage. But that's on the other side of the camper.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I have a bayside. My front storage lid was leaking and the water rotted out the floor in that area and softened the walls. I found the seal was bad on the box. Fixed that and no water since. I replaced the floor in the storage area and nuked the inside with bleach.

Alan and Orchid like this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm with the others that say first step is to find out where the water came from. Not always the easiest thing to do. I'm dealing with something similar right now, myself.

Don't rebuild or paint anything until you are sure the source of moisture is repaired. No reason to have to paint with mold resistant paint if everything stays dry, as it should. I would be concerned that would just cover up any future issues.

Bleach, bleach, and more bleach for clean up.

6. Sewing25

Sewing25 New Member

I will go over it again. The seals have been replaced on the front trunk but we haven't exposed anything to the weather except the sauna that we call Georgia Air.

7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

My lid seal was fine but had become detached in the back in a small area... I had to attach it with silicone adhesive caulk.

8. Orchid

Our Coleman Nevada was taking in water between the panels where the storage truck joins the rest of the camper. It was soaking into the dividing wall. We ran a bead of silicone caulk on it and solved that problem.

I'm talking about the exterior panels of the camper. I would say metal panels, but I don't think they're made of metal, but maybe. I'm bad at expressing myself in words, so if you don't know what I'm talking about, I will take a picture for you.

I used something called gasket adhesive on my new seals. Is that the same thing you are talking about. Just want to be clear so people don't use caulk. The PO of our camper had the seal/gasket on there with caulk and it was all molded and wet inside.

9. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

This is the product I used for the gasket.
    https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Black-Weatherstrip-Adhesive/dp/B00063X38M

I also sprayed the inside of the lid and the cover with clear Flex Seal. Overkill but I was trying to find the leak and prevent new ones...

Orchid likes this.
  10. Orchid

That's the same stuff I used. I was only concerned that people just starting out would take that to mean silicone caulk and get the wrong stuff. Thanks for posting a link.

Spraying the inside of the lid is a good idea! We Grizzly Gripped ours when we did our roof, so it's solid right now, but warped. It collects water when it rains, so it bugs me.

@Sewing25: Here is a photo of the seam I'm talking about. We ran clear silicone caulk along the entire vertical seam here, on both sides.

[​IMG]

theseus likes this.
  11. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I have caulked that seam as well. Make sure you use good high quality flexible caulk. I see my caulk flex when I lock the roof down.

Orchid likes this.
  12. Sewing25

Sewing25 New Member

Wow. No I haven't checked there. Thanks!

Orchid likes this.
  13. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

I had that once got the water hose out and watched the water go under the front door handle. Water is tricky stuff sometimes!

Orchid likes this.
  14. Orchid

Very tricky, indeed! Had a tiny (less than 1") area of seam that was leaking. It was located under one bunk support pole. It managed to ride the poles to different locations on the mattress, making it very confusing.

15. Sewing25

Sewing25 New Member

That's part of the thing I can't figure out. It was in a climate controlled garage pop up for months and nothing. We closed it down for a month and a half still in the garage, and BAM! mold. I am going to pull it out as soon as I get the rest of the cabinets out and soak it with the hose.

16. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

If you have problems getting the mildew smell out get a ionizer off amazon. I have had water in my basement and got a mildew smell dealt with it for a long time finally got the ionizer smell all gone!!