Cable Broke

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by bondo54, Jul 3, 2019.

1. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Went to raise my new to me 2017 Rockwood 277HW for the first time and the main cable broke. The dealer I bought it from is working with me to make it right even though I bought it as is.

J Starsky likes this.
  2. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Wow that’s hard to believe so late model. I guess po did zero required maintenance.

3. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear your dealer is working with you...so many of them just laugh & walk away after the sale.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

What lift system do you have on the camper? How many cables? Manual or power lift?

5. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Goshen, power, main cable to the winch.

6. Grandpa Don

FYI: Goshen has that main cable for around $25.00. My cable didn't break, but I changed it anyway just to be on the safe side. I think it was the original cable from 2003. I even ordered a spare one just in case. I have the tools and the know-how, so I could change it myself in the field if I had to. Plan on having to adjust the upper limit switch a couple of times after cable replacement. The new cables seem to stretch a bit. And it doesn't take much to mess up the setting on the switch.

7. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Update: Dealer called said Forrest River is on a 2 week shutdown so parts are not in yet. They are replacing not only the cable but the lift springs as well.

8. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Update: All repaired (has been for a month) working great. Ste it up and took it down with no problems. Ordered 2 more safety brackets to make the wife feel better. $22.00 each including shipping right from Goshen. Thought about using two 2x4 pieces of wood instead. Then I thought after a few to many beers I may burn them for campfire wood.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. Grandpa Don

I think you said that you had an electric winch. If so, be prepared to re-adjust the Up Limit Switch at some point. The cable does stretch a bit after a few liftings. I had to adjust mine about twice after cable replacement. It was very easy to do on mine. I just reached up under the winch and gave the limit screw a little turn and up she went. New cables can sometimes make a little clunk noise for a while as they wind around the winch pulley.