Cable issue

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Mattda, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Mattda

Mattda Member

Ok let me take a deep breath after a not pleasant day. We had to take down the camper in the pouring rain. So obviously I need to set it up in the driveway to dry it out. Well the top won’t go up and all I hear is the electric winch spinning. Remove underneath cover and the cable pulls right off the spool. This is the end of the cable. Is there anything I can do at home to fix this? If not hopefully I can get a dealer to get me in right away to get this fixed so I can open it up. Such a nice weekend ruined.

Attached Files:

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Tough for anyone here to comment when you don't even tell what make / model / year of camper you have. [?:~{]

Grandpa Don likes this.
  3. Mattda

Mattda Member

Yes that would help. 2010 Flagstaff 246D.

4. Mattda

Mattda Member

After doing some research. It looks like the end of the cable goes in a hole on the spool. It is held in place with a set screw. Was there something on the end of the cable? I wouldn’t think you would dig the set screw into the cable. I did pull some black stuff out of the hole that cable goes into. Just trying to see if I can come up with some kind of fix so I can open it up and dry it out. This is an electric winch.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Sometimes the cable is run out the side of the spool, folded back, and fastened with some sort of clamp. A picture of the attaching area would be helpful.

6. Mattda

Mattda Member

Thanks for the reply. The dealer finally got back to me. I dropped it off with them. Their gonna set it up and let it dry out. Then replace the cable which they claim has a lifetime warranty.

7. Mattda

Mattda Member

Well something broke on the electric winch that made the cable come off the spool. I had the old style power winch that you filled with grease in the top hole that has the removable cover. They replaced my winch with the carefree P55012. Looks a lot different and the high low adjustmants look like they are a lot easier than previous design. What surprised me when I got it home and checked it out was there is absolutely no lubrication on the gears. Anyone know if this is how it should be? I have the manual and it doesn't say anything about lubrication.