Cable tv

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by dmuny80, Apr 11, 2011.

1. dmuny80

dmuny80 New Member

Im curious on how campgrounds that had cable hookups are going to do since everything is digital and need a reciever to get cable. Anyone run into that problem yet????

2. huizarr

huizarr Member

I believe the Cable TV is still analog. It was only over the air signals that went digital to save bandwidth.

3. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

I am pretty sure that in my area of Ontario cable has been digital for years now. Most newer tvs come with digital tuners and can get the basic channels without a box.

Rob

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Same here in the Seattle area. Cable TV (i.e., Comcast) went digital long before the broadcast TV did. In fact, they had to distribute converter boxes to change the digital signal back to analog so people with old TVs could see a picture.

5. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

The campground i was at did ok my camper is cable ready.

6. dmuny80

dmuny80 New Member

I was just curious because my co woker has a seasonal trailer at a campground and he opened it up this weekend and he had to get a comcast box to get any channels. Same as in my house, i used to be able to get regular channels without a converter on my less used tvs but now every tv has to have thier own box.

7. BiXLL

BiXLL Chippewa Twp., Pa.

perhaps it has something to do with HD???

8. ILUVTHEBEACH

ILUVTHEBEACH Suburbs of Philly, PA

We did ok this weekend with our cable ready tv. We connected right to the back of the tv with the cable we brought with us. I am wondering if it has something to do with your televisions and your cable provider. This weekend the cable service was provided by direct TV. At home we have comcast and we are able to hook up a television directly to the cable line without a box but you are very limited to the channels you get. If we go through the box, we can get any channels we want. We found that to the be case as well last year when we had a site for the month down at the shore. We didn't want to get the cable box for the month so we only had 6 channels while we down there. [LOL]

9. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

They get more throughput digitizing it all. with WOW and others providing phone, internet and tv via one cable, space is at a premium. It also has to do with money, and analog cable feeds are easily split/pirated/whatever.
    Some newer tv's do have cable tuners built in, as long as it's not scrambled or encrypted.