Cabling system

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Chad Beck, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Chad Beck

Chad Beck New Member

I have recently bought a 2004 Fleetwood Utah. The manual crank system works good cranking upo but this past weekend I was putting it down for the week and while cranking it down it was very hard to crank. Almost like it was in a bind. It was harder to crank down than it was to crank up. Any suggestions or ideas would be very welcomed!!!

2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Make sure the cables haven't jumped off the pulleys. Pull the whiffletree cover and make sure there isn't any debris inside. Clean & re-grease as necessary.

3. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Well-Known Member

As McFLYfi said check the cable run for stiff/worn pulleys, cables binding/catching up

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

First of all welcome from Northern Virginia and a fellow Fleetwood Utah owner.
    As previously mentioned crawl under the camper and open the wiffletree cover. Verify that the screw like thing is cleaned and not gunked up. Spread some lube on the screw to ensure easy moving. Follow the cables to each corner and make sure the cables are still on the pulleys. Then spray a drylube on the pulleys to ensure they are moving freely.
    If you have a chance check out "the Coleman guy" on YouTube there are a lot of helpful videos he posted.

Chad Beck likes this.
  5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

As others have said check the cable routes to make sure cable is on pulleys and make sure pulleys are turning with the cable. Check the whiffletree and clean/regrease as needed. Also spray some silicon on the pulley bearings (Not the cable). Clean the cranking assembly!! This happened to me, cranked up fine, but cranking it down was hard and seemed like it was binding. I watched the Coleman guy videos and they were very helpful when it came to cleaning the crank assembly!!!

Another thing, on Coleman/Fleetwood campers the stabilizers MUST not be touching the ground when cranking up or down. This is to prevent binding. Coleman/Fleetwood state that the frame does flex when cranking up or down. By having the stabilizers down on the ground it does not allow the frame to flex and thus can cause binding.

6. Chad Beck

Chad Beck New Member

You may have just figured out my issue, Thank You!! The stabilizers was down when I lowered the top on the camper. I am going to perform maintenance on the wiffletree and check and grease all pulleys.

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Hopefully that's the issue and maybe some maintenance will help!

8. jmjub@msn.com

jmjub@msn.com New Member

I have a 2004 fleetwood Utah as well. When I crank it up the wiffle tree hits the steel cover and makes a popping sound as I crank it up. I have checked the pullies and greased everything. Just can't figure it out.

9. Coulter Wood

Coulter Wood New Member

I had this issue, and it turned out that the chain had been stretched over the years, so it was loose. Had a shop remove a link in the chain, and it solved the issue. Good luck.

10. Del Kelso

Del Kelso New Member

in addition to excellent video's on YouTube (search for Pop Up Camper Pro), i have attached a copy of the Coleman service manual and a DIYer's write-up on replacing cables. somewhere in all of this is your answer and even if you can't do the work by yourself, you will have a much better idea what the service guy is talking about.

lastly, once you get it figured out, i would be very interested in hearing about the solution / fix.

Attached Files: