Cades Cove Family Trip Report

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by hometownhiker, Jun 28, 2014.

1. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

Last Wednesday, we packed up and headed over to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park for a 5 nighter in Cades Cove. My wife and I had the pup packed down with with all the essentials, including 4 adult bikes, 2 kids bikes, and tent for my daughter, son in law, and 3 grandkids. They were joining us on Friday.

We arrived at our site in the generator free loop C, where we always camp, about 2:00 and wasted no time getting popped up and ready to kick back for the evening. After a relaxing and quiet night, we got up early on Thursday morning and hiked to the top of Gregory Bald to see the dazzling annual display of wild azaleas. It was my wife's first visit to Gregory Bald and she said that the 11 mile round trip was worth the effort to see the beautiful colors in peak bloom.
    Here is a description of the hike from my blog: http://hometownhiker.blogspot.com/2014/06/gregory-bald-hike-2014.html

On Friday, the kids arrived and we rode bikes, went on a nature hike, played in the creek, and drove the loop, spotting deer, bears, turkeys, etc. We walked around the old homesteads and churches, exploring and generally doing fun stuff.

Saturday morning, the loop is closed to cars, so the wife and I rode the entire loop on our bicycles, while the kids rode an abbreviated 4 mile loop. The 4 and 6 year old are already accomplished cyclists and had no problems with the hilly terrain. The 18 month old rode on a child seat with her dad. We spotted more wildlife, ate marshmallows, played games, built a nice campfire, and caught lightning bugs.

On Sunday morning, as the daughter and son in law were packing up, me and the grandkids made breakfast for everybody. They left about 9, leaving the 4 year old with us. He was determined to camp another night and we were happy to accommodate him. The three of us drove into Sevierville, and went to the Lodge cast iron outlet and the Coleman outlet. That evening, my grandson and I built the best fire of the trip, and really had a good time. We slept soundly and packed it home on Monday morning.

Overall, it was a great time spent with the family. The weather was perfect, all of our neighbors were friendly, I got to do some Dutch oven cooking, and I slept like a baby every night. Man, I love camping in my little pup!

2. AndyBees

AndyBees New Member

Wow! You folks had a grand time!

My wife loves Cades Cove! We've never camped there but have visited a number of times. Back in the spring we hiked to Abrams Falls (I think the spelling is correct). Anyway, that hike is well worth the 3 and half hour round trip.

3. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

We love Cades Cove but haven't camped there yet but it is at the top if my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '02 Chevy Suburban
    '99 Coleman Westlake

4. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

We haven't camped in the cove since '72 when I took the Queen on her first camping trip on our first anniversary. The Queen approved and has been an avid camper since. We will be heading to GSMNP in 2 weeks, but will be camping at Camping in the Smokies in Gatlinburg. The cove is one of our favorite places to visit in the park. We like to go later in the day with a picnic dinner and enjoy.

[PU] [PUT]
    BEAR

5. hometownhiker

Cades Cove is such a nice place to experience with young children. Watching them discover and explore is a blast. Cataloochee is another great CG in the GSMNP to stay at with kids, too.

6. Heritage

Heritage New Member

Thanks for the update.

7. hometownhiker

Here's a shot of our little pup in site C-61 at Cades Cove.

[​IMG]

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Sounds like it was a great trip!

9. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I've only been there once and that was a day trip. I'd love to take the camper; thanks for this update!

10. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

Like it... [:D]. 5 days and we head to GSMNP. won't be camping in the park [:(], But the Queen likes her A/C etc. and if the Queen ain't happy...We will be visiting the cove as well as other sites in the Park.

[PU] [PUT]
    BEAR

11. Indy

Indy Member

We just spent 4 days at Cades Cove in March over Spring Break. It's quite the drive from Houston, but it was worth every second!

12. Heritage

Heritage New Member

Hometown, what's your favorite? Cades Cove or Chataloochee?

13. sheenabob

sheenabob New Member

Wow, sounds like a great trip. Did you get any relaxing done? lol

14. hometownhiker

Cataloochee, hands down. More remote, less crowds, small CG, great hiking, great bike riding. It's fun to do both with the family. Cades Cove is easier to get into.

15. hometownhiker

I slept like a baby every night, 9 hrs! I never do that in the civilian world.

16. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

I've been to the Cove, but only driving through while visiting the area. Another bucket list trip.

17. hootn

hootn Member

c-61 is the site you stayed at? well kinda ironic since me and crazy woaman have made plan to head there the end october and staying at site c-62.

18. hometownhiker

I camped at C62 in 2012. It's a better site than C61. :)
    [:D]

19. sethandmelissa

sethandmelissa New Member

We are going to Cades Cove in March. We hope! They do not take reservations so it will be walk-in. We hope to get a spot where we can use the generator though. Any advice on camping there?

20. hometownhiker

Have fun, enjoy your March trip. It's early season, so should be no problem getting a site.