Calgary, Alberta - replacing the powerlift

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by arge, Jan 7, 2020.

1. arge

arge Member

Sometime in springtime I will be looking to have the powerlift replaced with a manual crank. Rockwood 1907, year 2007.
    Any decent place where I can have this done in/around Calgary Alberta?

Thank you

2. p

p Active Member

Only place i know of is standens. They do mechanical stuff....i dont know if they do what u want.

3. arge

arge Member

Thanks. yes, most likely they will not do that. I will call them if they will be the last option. I heard that they do a good job on breaks, hitches etc...

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Why remove it?

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

With shop rates averaging ~ $130 hr Cdn I can't imagine a mod like this on a 13 yr old popup being worth it. :( Any power lift system will have some method of disconnecting it electrically to allow one to operate the lift system manually and be one heck of a lot less costly (as in $0) than having some shop "replace" the power lift with a manual crank. If manually cranking the lift system is such a chore use a cordless drill to do the work for you at the fraction of the cost of having a shop modify the lift system for you.

[​IMG]

6. arge

arge Member

7. arge

arge Member

@GreyFox: my camper doesn't have this option. or at least I haven't found it.
    I have this hole on the back bumper, but nothing behind the hole, the mechanism is missing (it looks like was never installed)
    The only one manual option that I have, involves dismantling the battery box (it is a pain to have it reinstalled), removing the electric engine housing and getting access to manual mode screw (drill operated). The thing is this screw is coming out while trying to lift the roof, it seems to work only going down.

8. DerekCamperDad

DerekCamperDad Member

Here's a place my storage facility owner recommended. I've only talked to them on the phone about a soft start capacitor but they seemed know their stuff and were honest, not just looking to get my money. They look like they are cheaper than most dealerships on labour too.

https://swiftrvrepairs.com/

arge likes this.
  9. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Do you not have this hole on your lift motor?(usually there is plug) 20200120_133510.jpg 20200120_133510.jpg

10. arge

arge Member

Thank you Derek

@bheff: nope, I don't have that hole, but I am able to access the screw once I am removing the casing (an it is a pain to put it back). Also, on top of that, I have the battery installed there.
    That little screw was coming off once I tried to rise the roof. It was working ok on the other way, to bring down the roof. I don't know, maybe I was doing something wrong or no, anyway, it is like an 1hr intervention just to access that screw.

11. myride

myride Well-Known Member

If you don't mind hauling it up to Edmonton....
    Wes @ WKS has been a saviour at times for repairs and parts.
    He can be found on Kijiji or just call him @ 780-469-3234

12. arge

arge Member

I found a couple of mechanics in Calgary, I guess I will take my chances here. Going to Edm it will add up to an already too expensive repair in report with the value of the trailer...

myride likes this.
  13. arge

arge Member

I got in touch with Swift RV Repairs (I hope is not an issue that I am mentioning their name) and they told me it is a easy peasy fix. The main cost will be the parts+shipping (about 350 cad) and the labor they estimate would be like 1 hr charge.