Calgary to AZ Planning a trip for next year

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by timothias, Jul 11, 2013.

1. timothias

timothias New Member

This might be jumping the gun a little bit, but I finish my 4 yr BTh next year, and I want to take the DW and DD on a trip to celebrate. We love camping, and I haven't had much opportunity to explore the U.S. I thought I would take them camping down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Why the North Rim? I don't want to drive all the way to the south, and I hear that the altitude of the NR will give us more home like temps. Some questions for all of you experienced campers in that area...

1. I will be towing our PUP 21hrs straight south from Calgary. I figured we break that drive up and do at least one, if not two overnight stops before our destination. Where would be the best places (not off the beaten path) to do these overnight stops? http://goo.gl/maps/1KOxn is what google suggests for the drive.

2. Climate wise, we are Canadians, and I like the Alberta climate, not too hot, if you know what I mean. I was thinking of May of June for the trip so the summer temps won't yet be in full heat? What do you think of this? I'm hoping to camp when the norms would be around 25-30C. (The TV has A/C, but not the PUP)

3. What campgrounds on the North Rim should I be looking at, and what are average prices for a night?

4. My DW is a bit nervous of certain types of creatures, what are the chances of a venomous critter chilling with us while we camp? I told here we wouldn't necessarily see rattlesankes, but TBH, I don't really know...

5. What should I expect crossing the border with my loaded PUP on behind? Do they like to dig into things like that or am I getting paranoid?

Like I said, I know this is pretty far in advance, but I want to plan a big trip like this properly. Thanks in advance for reading and helping.

Cheers.

2. Twitch22

Twitch22 73 N6DDY

Umm.....Arizona is getting hot in May and full heat by June. This year northern part was in the 100's and the rest of the state was over 115. If you want Canada weather out of Arizona then you need to come down in the winter. [;)]

If you have never been, I would recommend Yellowstone NP and Zion's NP or Bryce Canyon NP as good places to overnight. They are a good distance apart though.

3. timothias

timothias New Member

That's fair, I was looking at this site http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/weather-condition.htm, which seems a bit more hopeful, but I will take your word for temp. Unfortunately I'm in school until May, so the winter trip just won't work. We might just learn to enjoy the heat though. What is humidity usually like?

4. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

I don't believe the North Rim at +8000' elevation came close to reaching 100 degrees, even during our recent record head wave. The North Rim campground is at 8200' and the typical June avg temp is mid-70's with overnight lows in the 50's. Even with the odd excursion into the 80's the dry climate makes this temperature very pleasant and not at all like 80's in a humid climate. You are more likely to need your heater than your air conditioner.

May is a lot cooler but be advised, in a heavy snow winter, the road to the N Rim doesn't even open until mid-May.

There is one campground inside the park, the North Rim campground. Outside the park, there are two Forest Service campgrounds, DeMotte - 16 miles north of the park entrance, and Jacob Lake - 45 miles north.

Additionally, there is plenty of dispersed camping in the Kaibab National Forest outside the park boundaries.

Please understand, all of the camping mentioned above is without HOOKUPS. I do believe there may be a private campground at Jacob Lake with hookups.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-nr.htm#CP_JUMP_153585

5. Jaybirdypb

Jaybirdypb New Member

I've been to both the north and south rim and if you are coming all the way down you really should see the Grand Canyon from both sides. In my opinion, the view from the south rim was far more beautiful. It really took my breath away. The view from the north side is good too, but I very much preferred the view from the south Rim. Have a great trip!

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

It would be a shame to follow that route all the way to the Grand Canyon and not stop in Yellowstone, even if just for a few days. I also highly recommend the National Parks in Southern Utah that will be close to your route. Bryce Canyon and Zion are a must see since you are so close.

We were at the North Rim last month and the temperatures were very nice - mid 70's during the day and 40's at night. The North Rim typically opens on May 15 depending on snow. I thought the weather was perfect. It wasn't too hot to hike and it cooled off at night to make for great sleeping.

There is only 1 campground inside the Park at the North Rim. It has showers and water available but no hookups. There are 5 "premium" sites that have a nice view of the canyon. Cost was $18 per night and I think the premium sites are $25 per night. http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-nr.htm#CP_JUMP_153583

There are several NFS campsites outside the park.

The closest is Demotte campground about 7 miles north of the Grand Canyon. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/kaibab/specialplaces/recarea/?recid=11699&actid=29

Jacob Lake is 40 miles north of the park. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/kaibab/specialplaces/recarea/?recid=11702&actid=29

As mentioned, there is also a commercial campground near Jacob Lake.

7. Twitch22

Twitch22 73 N6DDY

if you are going to book a site at the north rim do it early. They seem to fill up REALLY fast. I check on a weekend for myself and everything was booked. I looked over several weeks and everything was taken. So book it early if you are going there.