California Bridge Tolls... SERIOUSLY?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by GVD, Jun 24, 2013.

1. GVD

GVD New Member

Ok, so I guess I'm naive but I was shocked when I was bringing my NTM PUP home. I stopped at the bridge toll booth expecting to pay the normal $5.00 and was told it's $15.00; the fee is $5 per axle.

Say whaaat?

$15 every time I cross a bridge? To get from here to San Francisco it will cost $30 one way and $60 round trip? Call me sticker-shocked! I asked why a car has 2 axles and is only $5.00 and the guy got a confused look on his face so I didn't push it anymore.

This is literally highway robbery!

2. ewb

ewb New Member

I agree lame.....But you only have to pay tolls going in one direction so look there I just cut your bill by 50%

3. adirondackcamper

adirondackcamper New Member

yeah, it's that way I for the thruway out here in NY and the PA Turnpike. I guess my car only has ONE axle , I never realized that , WOW I must have really great balance!! LOL... And Yes, I understand your frustration, It really is too much $$ for a little PUP! [2C]

4. dion

dion Member

Yep, we live in the Bay Area, and see the same thing. If we add our little thousand-pound trailer behind us, it triples the toll cost. Not quite fair. The rules are set up assuming that anything with 3 axles would be a large heavy vehicle. (then again, is it fair for a Smart Car to be charged the same toll as a Hummer stretch limo?)

But note that almost all the bridges only charge a toll in one direction, at least hear in Northern California. By planning trips the right way, we can often avoid tolls entirely, or at worst, pay only one toll for a round trip. For example, to go between Big Sur and Santa Rosa, northbound you only need to cross the Golden Gate Bridge in the free direction. Southbound you can cross the Richmond/San Rafael bridge in the free direction and go down the East Bay side. You can make the round trip without paying a toll!

5. buckerbie

buckerbie New Member

The first time I towed the PUP over the Bay Bridge I used my Fastrak pass and wondered what I would get charged. Well, after the trip I checked my account and did get charged for 3 axles. There must be sensors in the ground...

6. GVD

GVD New Member

Oh yeah, only one way, I forgot. But still; $30 is a lot!
    I better not hit a single pot hole for those rates!

7. dion

dion Member

You say that from "here" to San Francisco is $30 one way. I'm trying to think of where you could be located. From the North, SF is reachable by one GGB toll, with a free return trip. From the East, it's reachable by one Bay Bridge toll, with a free return trip. From the northeast, you might use the Carquinez or Benicia bridge to get to the Bay Bridge, but those only charge tolls northbound. You could cross them for free southbound, but then avoid the northbound toll by going home using the Golden Gate bridge (free direction) and driving around the north end of the Bay on highway 37. So I think it's possible to do a complete round trip between San Francisco and almost anywhere for just a single bridge toll.

8. GVD

GVD New Member

The "from here to SF one way" comment was when I was still in a huff and forgot tolls were only one way. The next comment of $30 being too much is accurate; $30 round trip. I would not take the GG bridge to get back to Solano County. Will hit tolls on Carquinez as you said on the way back. Two tolls total, not 4. My mistake.

9. ewb

ewb New Member

avoid 880 (near oakland) then. there are a few sections that make me think its a dirt road.....Holy cow what a joke

10. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

How about the GG now. Just drive through and they send you a bill, then an evasion ticket after you paid it (bureaucratic ineptness) . So what happens if your not driving your own car. The r/o gets it. Did you guys know the GG Bridge is privately owned. And why can they use public resources to send toll bills to drivers of unidentified vehicles and pass through a toll gate that scans plate numbers. And, everyone's worried about the NSA monitoring Martha Stuart emailing a recipe (joke).

11. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

the problem trying to avoid the toll may cost more than the toll.

I personally like tolls because those who use the road pay for it.

The problem is what portion of the REST of the road taxes get
    apportioned there and else where.

Tolls also work to restrict traffic and in this case, particular types of
    traffic such as multi-axle.

12. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

yeshk,,,,,,,,,that's a ton of change.

I paid 75 cents on the Polk Parkway here in Florida the other day [LOL]

13. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

This is California boys and girls. More specifically the San Francisco Bay Area. You got to pay to play here. I've lived here in the East Bay all my life, but when I retire, I'm outta here.

14. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

[SUN] Remember to vote. I spent two weeks in CA recently and was appalled at the number of extremely strange laws and regulations that violate your rights and you are force to live under. I say this with all due respect and am not attempting to be critical.

15. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

I lived in Redwood City for a year once,,,,so crazy cold, I moved back to Florida [LOL]

but I never had occasion to cross the Golden Gate,,,,,,,I'm terrified of heights [LOL]

16. CalKat

CalKat Member

Gotta pay for the boondoggle bridge. Nearly 25 years after the '89 earthquake and the failure of the bay bridge and we still don't have a new and safe bridge. Every Cal Trans exec should be jailed for fraud. First they sent billions of money and jobs to have the %&@ thing built in China, don't bother inspecting the bolts to hold it together, and now they need to replace them all! Pray there will not be any earthquakes that could claim lives.

17. steved

steved New Member

Actually PA is by weight in most cases, with NY, RI, and NJ by axle...it all depends on how they figure they can make the most money.

The weight-derived toll roads are frustrating...I can go from a class 2 to a class 3 on the PA pike by simply loading up the wife and daughter in the truck. The break is around 7500#s, which most 3/4 ton pickups weigh just shy of that unloaded. Same when I was driving big(ger) truck, emptying the water tank (250 gallons) was the difference between a Class 4 and Class 5 (which was about a 50% increase in price). My biggest complaint is that the PA scales are not accurate...going out through a certain toll PA plaza, loaded to the gills, I was a Class 4; coming back empty I would get a Class 5! Figure that one out!

18. Pop up Pooley

Pop up Pooley New Member

I had to pay that $15 when I crossed over the bridge...was it the 880? Seems extreme to me but...hey welcome to Cali!
    I was glad on the way home to find out I didn't have to pay another toll.

19. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

If it was the San Francisco Bay bridge then I-80. And none of our Northern California freeways have "the" in the number. Not until you get south of Bakersfield [:D] except for Sacramento. They want to name them like the freeways are down south.

It's a so cal thing isn't it. The 5, the 405,. I lived down there two years for my job. It was funny my neighbors recognized my not saying "the" in the freeway. I never picked up the prefix in my short time there.

Happy Campin'

20. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

The 407 in Toronto is an automated toll road, no boothes, just cameras. Its about $0.25 a km, plus a $3.95 fee for not having a transponder(10 a month for a transponder). The bills can wrack up quickly. I couldn't find the fee to tow a light trailer, but I've heard it escalated the price steeply.