California Registration Question

JessDWC

Aug 27, 2015
Hello,

My name is Jessica. I'm having trouble figuring out if a pop up camper requires registration in California. The specific camper is a 1996 Texson Pop Up Camper. Any info and links for this info would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Austin694

Feb 18, 2015
Yes it does. It is called PTI. You only have to do it once when you purchase it and want to transfer to yourself.

R00

Super Active Member
Aug 10, 2014
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/%3F1dmy%26urile%3Dwcm[emoji14]ath:/dmv_content_en/dmv/pubs/vctop/vc/d3/c1/a8/5014.1&ved=0CCAQFjACahUKEwip6cTZsMrHAhWNLYgKHX1uA3k&usg=AFQjCNESuFg0KXSE-MdJiylfQHHgD8c4gQ&sig2=InrcRUU-NGEf0HvS2rmc1Q

R00

Super Active Member
Aug 10, 2014
I give up. Google "CA PTI trailer"

Only certain trailer types qualify for PTI

zell_travis

Aug 15, 2013
I had to register mine. It didn't cost much and I think it's good for "life" or 5 years or something.

campfreak

Super Active Member
Jan 13, 2011
R00 said:
I give up. Google "CA PTI trailer"

Only certain trailer types qualify for PTI

From the ca vehicle code... Trailers eligible for PTI
"Camp Trailer (CVC §242)
A camp trailer is a vehicle other than a motor vehicle:
• designed to be towed on the highway,
• capable of human habitation for camping or recreational purposes,
• that does not exceed 16 feet in overall length from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body and 96 inches in width.
Where a trailer telescopes for travel, the size shall apply to the trailer as fully extended.
NOTE: Any tent trailer is a camp trailer. A camp trailer shall not be considered to be a trailer coach."

That last note is the kicker for me. To me that means we are all eligible. It took a little convincing at the DMV, but I got it.

ChocoChock01

On the road aagaain See Rallies below;
Mar 7, 2012
campfreak said:
"Camp Trailer (CVC §242)
NOTE: Any tent trailer is a camp trailer. A camp trailer shall not be considered to be a trailer coach."

That last note is the kicker for me. To me that means we are all eligible. It took a little convincing at the DMV, but I got it.
Congratulations on using their own contradiction to win.

nicktr23

Jul 5, 2022
"Camp Trailer (CVC §242)
A camp trailer is a vehicle other than a motor vehicle:
designed to be towed on the highway,
capable of human habitation for camping or recreational purposes,
that does not exceed 16 feet in overall length from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body and 96 inches in width.
Where a trailer telescopes for travel, the size shall apply to the trailer as fully extended.

how much convincing did you have to do? I'm in the same boat. My pop up is registered as a trailer coach and its expensive.