Calling all electricians...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by DJO-PUPNEWBIE, Sep 20, 2019.

1. DJO-PUPNEWBIE

DJO-PUPNEWBIE New Member

Greetings to all and hope everyone had a great summer and is ready to welcome the change of seasons! Here is my scenario. Last winter, I took my 2009 Flagstaff 207D and gave it an electrical enema. I removed the existing 30A distribution panel and installed a 50A panel, along with more outlets. Every outlet, the A/C, the fridge, and the 12V power converter, are now all on their own dedicated breakers (and I have two open for possible future outlets, if desired). Each new outlet was run with 12/2 Romex. Everything 120V works as expected and I have yet to overload a circuit...but I haven't really tried. Here is what I cannot figure out. Everything works, as I said, except for the 12V power when the camper is not plugged in to shore power. Everything is wired correctly. I have checked and double-checked. The 12V power converter even says the battery charging and maintenance is working properly, and I know the battery has charge because the power lift always works. So...what could I have possibly done wrong? Any thoughts?

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

No battery power to the convertor?

3. DJO-PUPNEWBIE

DJO-PUPNEWBIE New Member

The battery connects directly into the distribution panel, as does the 12V converter, which is how the converter reads and maintains a charge on the battery. The panel is their meeting point. Check out my album. there are some pics there that show what was installed. Here is the DP I used: https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-893050/ It's fully loaded and connected. The schematic is also there.

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

While not plugged in I am sure you have used a volt meter or test light on the 2 lugs at the top of the fuses and reported the voltage, then you went to determine where 12v power stops on a given circuit.

Raycfe likes this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 8.33.24 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 8.32.38 AM.png
    Disconnect the battery lead at the fuse block and check for voltage in the lead. Do this with camper unplugged.

6. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Is there a cutoff switch sometimes located on a bunk end or on the flipover galley. They put those in so that if you close up your pup then the lights will not turn on. Reducing the chance of a fire. Those little bulbs get very hot over time. Seen many pics of them burning holes in matresses and counter tops. There may be a master switch inside the doorway that turns off the power to the 12v lights aswell.

7. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Use a multimeter and figure out where you are and are not getting 12V. Too many variables to diagnose from here without more info.

8. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Agreed, double check for a cutoff switch somewhere. My new-to-me Rockwood the wire going to that cutoff shorted out so no 12V until I repaired it....