Camco travel toilet, "does anyone have one"?

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Puppylove, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

I'm looking into porta potties, and want something simple to use for tinkles after dark- that's all. Hubby may or may not even use it, but I'm looking forward to having the little bit of luxury! Does anyone have a Camco travel toilet? I'm looking at a smaller 2.6 gallon. Or can someone recommend another brand similar?
    Thanks!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

We have THIS Thetford. I bought it because it is only 13" tall and stores under our tables when in travel position. We have had it for three years and have had no issues.

If you want to raise it to standard toilet height (17") you will need to place something under it. I built a small stand for ours.

3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I've had a Thetford--probably the earlier version of the one linked above--for about 9 years. We use it low. :)

They are very good. We have had people sleep inches from it with no complaints.

4. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

I have the 5.3 gallon Camco - bought on amazon. I *love* it. the large size makes it tall enough to sit comfortably and the size means you can go out for much longer.

5. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Thank you. I prefer the price of the Camco over Thetford so positive feedback on the brand is helpful as is the size consideration. Regards...

6. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

@Puppylove...

Definitely go with the bigger size = 5 gallon. It’s the better choice.

My biggest regret is not getting the bigger tank. I have a Dometic portable toilet. It’s a smaller tank and barely enough capacity if I’m not drinking lots of liquids while camping for a few days. If DH is using it too, then we have to empty it more than once during a weekend trip.

Go with the bigger tank size.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

Puppylove likes this.
  7. Londonbrewer

Londonbrewer New Member

We have the 5.3g camco. Was a great addition, especially camping during COVID and minimizing trips to the washroom. Also my 2 daughters and wife were much happier having a toilet at the site.

The larger toilet was pretty much good for a long weekend of camping without having to dump it till we were packing up.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Puppylove and Indiobravo like this.
  8. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I like our Thetford...Nice big tanks and taller...Feels like the house toilet.
    The older you get ,the more you appreciate little things....Like not having to squat
    almost to the floor.
    You can save a little money now or spend more later and have a extra porta potty laying around
    with no more use for.
    With that being said...Anything is better than nothing if it keeps you from using and walking
    to a nasty over used campground bathroom or pit toilet during Covid.

https://www.thetford.com/product/porta-potti-565e/

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. carbonunit

carbonunit New Member

I gave up on the portable toilets having had small leaks or seals eventually wear out. The simplest and least expensive solution for us was a "Luggable Loo" and "Double Doodie Bags". They work very well for our needs. I even used it in the washroom at the home once when we experienced a 24 hour storm power outage. The bags are very thick, double zip-locked and the powder in the bag turns urine into a gelatin. Super easy to dispose. Works for us!

Andy G. likes this.
  10. Stereo56

Stereo56 New Member

For mid-night pees, we just use a quart-size canning jar. No need to squat. Screw on the lid afterwards to hold in the odor. Easy to dispose of in the morning and easy to clean at the end of the trip. For pooping, we have a Thetford standard-height portable toilet that has vastly improved our camping experience and is more environmentally responsible than digging a pit. However, cleaning it at the end of a trip is NO fun.

Hopefully, none of this forum’s members are among those who just poop on the ground and/or leave their TP “hidden” under a bush.

11. dirtnsmores

dirtnsmores New Member

I have a camco used it twice and worked great both times. The bigger 5 gallon. Probably too big even for our family of four. We only use it for peeing at night or early morning, mostly for the ladies

12. NSL

NSL New Member

I second the "Luggable Loo." It's very portable and easy to use. I got a pop-up "shower tent" to set up next to the trailer for the "Luggable Loo" because I refuse to use it inside the trailer when my hubby is with me (smile!)

Andy G. likes this.
  13. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

14. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

We have considered one of those Camco toilets, but we have gotten along very well with the luggable loo and the Double Doody bags. It works great for the three of us. The downside is that finding replacement bags has been tough lately. Everyone seems to be out of stock.

15. littlebritches

littlebritches Member

While it is not completely ideal, I have been using the luggable loo. The double doody bags never worked for me as I was camping for more than 2 nights with more than 4 people at camp - we were having to replace them every 4-8 hours and they got VERY expensive. I opted to use compactor bags. I am still shopping the portable toilets so this thread will be interesting to read as time goes on.

16. rhbowler

rhbowler New Member

Go with the bigger 5.3gallon, you won't regret it! Here's a little over a year ago and it's great!:
    https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Detach...wg=5DOHb&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_img

Russ

Puppylove likes this.
  17. Puppylove

Puppylove Member

Man!, those canning jars have 101 uses. I suppose I should consider the possibility of popping in the port a potty on occasion, and what clean-up entails. :rolleyes: