Camp Driveway, suspended due to MANHUNT

jdubois

Apr 3, 2013
So, I did a solo run in the N2U PUP on Thur nite, everything worked fine, planned to camp out with DW and DD on Fri nite.

Well, the Marathon Bomber was on the loose all day Fri, thousands of cops and Feds couldn't find him, and SWAT teams descended on his college campus to search the dorms. That's UMass-Dartmouth (as in, my hometown!), only 5-6 miles from my house! Needless to say, camping in a PUP in my driveway with a bomber on the loose in parts unknwon was NOT all that appealing to us.

Now that he's been captured, Camp Driveway is officially re-opened. :)

Ted S.

Super Active Member
Dec 20, 2011
My friend lives on Franklin St., Watertown just a few houses down from where they got Suspect #2. We got Facebook updates before the news got it. He had a front row view of the action and was posting videos. Very scary for him and his family.

Makes me want to go to the Darkside.

jdubois

Apr 3, 2013
Holy crap, that's about as close as you can get, unless you're in the boat with him.

Shuswap

Jan 15, 2012
Very impressive results by US authorities, especially the inter-agency cooperation. Vancouver has its big internaitonal run this week end - I'm hoping it is peaceful.

Campit

EAT SLEEP CAMP
Sep 16, 2011
It's a good thing you didn't do camp driveway this weekend. The suspect chose to hide undercover in a boat in someone's yard. But I'm glad he has been caught and no one else will lose their life to his and his brother's terrorist acts.
I must also say that Boston's police dept. and other agencies did a fine job!
Maybe now jdubois, you and your family can have a camp driveway next weekend without worrying you'd be in a 'war zone'?

Campit

Ted S.

Super Active Member
Dec 20, 2011
That's something I think we all don't appreciate enough simply becase it can't ever be appreciated enough considering some places I this world. The fact that we all can go camping in a peacefully society.

BadLarry

Jan 16, 2013
I am also in the area of where the manhunt was taking place. While I was not at campdrive way, I would have loved for him to come pay me a visit... Lets just say the words ".... By citizen" would have been on the news and you could have seen my face on the news !

jdubois

Apr 3, 2013
It's official; Camp Driveway is called OFF.
But Camp Backyard, however, is now ON.
DW now reading night-time books to DD.
Patio firepit roaring. Peepers peeping.

Life is good tonight. [PU] [CP]

inthedirt

Super Active Member
Aug 28, 2012
SW Montana
Had a similar situation just last month. Seems that a person-of-interest in the murder of a Colorado lawyer was seen running around in our neighborhood. I noticed a bunch of police cars cruising around when I left for work, but they weren't saying much. My kid's school, which is less than a mile from our house, was on lockdown for the day. As I was pulling into the parking lot at work 20min later, my wife called to say that there were over 40 officers in our backyard with weapons drawn. The perp was caught just behind our 4ft chainlink fence in a field. ATF, FBI, police, and news cameras were all over the place. Let's just say that my wife was freaked out just a tad. Our dogs were going crazy! Had I been home, I could have scoped him from my 2nd story bedroom window or on roof.

jdubois

Apr 3, 2013
@ inthedirt - sorry to hear of your family's troubles, and glad to hear it worked out OK. On a lighter note, our family's 1st night in the PUP was great!

Me, DW, and DD '08

Nights camped in '13: 2 (and counting)