Camp Driveway Trip :)

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by BarmanBean, Aug 30, 2014.

1. BarmanBean

BarmanBean Member

Well, having a bit of a camp driveway experience this evening. Did some hot dogs over the firepit and I'm sleeping with my son (2.5yo) in the PUP tonight to hopefully get him a bit acclimated. It's been a bit of a long night so far, but I think he's finally asleep!

Some things that have popped up:
    • 20A breaker in the camper kept getting tripped with the A/C on. I've since turned the fridge off completely and turned it to low fan and a lower setting and it seems to be going ok now. Might replace the breaker just in case that helps tho--I don't think it should be tripping the circuit even with the fridge running
    • The water input seems to leak, might need to pick up a new washer gasket there
    • Maybe that's it?

Definitely learning more by actually spending a night in the camper. Need to remember night time books, stuffed animals, etc. WiFi in Camp Driveway is nice--get to crank out a bit of work while keepying my son in his bed and also post this up, lol.

2. davido

davido Active Member

I'm a little bit surprised that the AC and fridge share a breaker. If replacing the breaker doesn't solve the problem consider upgrading the wiring so AC is on its own circuit.

Water leaks are undesirable, as they may contribute to structural damage. Find that leak and resolve it soon. Also be sure to use a pressure regulator on your inlet. Water supplies may provide pressures that are not safe for your plumbing. Regulators ate available from Walmart for $5 bucks.

While in camp driveway verify the water heater works, as well as the propane fridge. Take note that the stove probably doesn't have an igniter; I use a lighter for mine. I mention this so you don't get to a real CG and discover no means for lighting the stove.

3. BarmanBean

BarmanBean Member

Thanks, davido--all good info. I'll look into a water regulator. I think there's only 2 breakers, the main 30A and a 20A, so wouldn't just about everything in the entire camper be on the 20A? I honestly don't have much knowledge on how things are wired up--capable of figuring it out, just haven't done so to this point.

Night went well once my son was finally asleep, lol. Obviously he woke up a bit earlier than usual this morning when the sun came up... [SNZ]

4. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

It is quite possible that the A/C tripped because there were not enough amps going to the A/C. I would reserve judgement until you can plug into a 30amp plug.

The A/C should be on its own circuit breaker and the fridge on its own. I think the problems you experienceing might just be tied to the 15amp house plug your plugged into.

Good luck and enjoy the time with your child. They grow up so quick. :)

Vin.

5. BarmanBean

BarmanBean Member

Yeah, definitely a possibility, especially considering that I admittedly had the camper hooked up via an extension cord that was too long and not a large enough gauge--rookie mistake. After I plugged things up directly using only the camper cord the issue seemed to go away.

6. Phranc

Phranc New Member

Why not just use the fridge on propane?

7. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Also when you have time have 30A outlet on the outside of the house so you can plug the camper in i have a 30A on the out side of the shop so i can plug the camper in.

8. BarmanBean

BarmanBean Member

Running the fridge on propane is definitely an option, I just didn't have the need in the driveway since I didn't have anything that was actually *in* the fridge at the time.

Running an entire circuit into my garage just for the PUP just isn't realistic at the moment :) That would run me probably over $100 just in the required wire alone! I have plans to run a dedicated secondary breaker box to the garage at some point, but not quite there yet.