Camp driveway

Discussion in 'Camp Driveway' started by Fishman1, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Fishman1

Fishman1 Member

We are camping tonight in our driveway. First time sleeping in the Taos. We’ve got an electric heater going and it very toasty in here. We are looking forward to some real camping soon. So far so good.

Byrd_Huntr, BikeNFish, Kampus and 5 others like this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I am envious! Enjoy!!

PopUpSteve and Fishman1 like this.
  3. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

I'm so jealous! Camp driveway is a great way to get to know your pup. Best part is if you forgot something it is only a short walk away to retrieve it. Happy camping!

Fishman1 likes this.
  4. Fishman1

Fishman1 Member

Well the first night in our Taos went well. Learned the camper is a nice size for us. Still trying to figure out what we need to keep in the camper but have a better idea now. We roasted hotdogs and marshmallows. Had a fine time.

MaeKay and Buckmaster81 like this.
  5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I have a little setup under one of my shade trees next to our little woods in my backyard... I have a 120VAC 20AMP Extension cord from here to the house patio area...

Good place to do some cleaning, checking out new mods, working on things etc...

I have a sitting area complete with chairs, firepit, patio rug, night lites... Always sitting here with WIFI hookup to the house listening to local country station WFLS and Internet Police Radio scanner...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Byrd_Huntr, Fishman1 and Mat Kyne like this.
  6. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

My pop-up has its own docking port. It has a small (3 x 4) deck and a 30 amp plug. The deluxe fire pit with log bench seating for 8 is a short walk through the woods, but the burn barrel is 15 feet from the docking port. I installed a separate WiFi access point in the garage just so I could get better coverage in the pop-up. I have such a nice "camp" set up at home I sometimes wonder why I go camping. [:D] Next year I plan to build an over-sized car port for the camper, but where I have it planned, I'm not sure I'll be in WiFi range. :wink:

Fishman1 likes this.
  7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sounds like you are having a really great time and actually making memories during camp driveway. Take your time on "what to stock in the unit" add items as needed or you will end up with a lot of items you will never (or very seldom) use. I have a large box for these items in my shop Things that I figured I could not live without and found out I could live without them for sure. :)
    Good luck and Keep On Camping

MaeKay, Byrd_Huntr and Fishman1 like this.
  8. Fishman1

Fishman1 Member

The inaugural camping trip is just around the corner. 4/10 until 4/14 in the north Georgia mountains. A bunch of buddies on a trout fishing trip.Lots of good eats are planned and always a good time rain or shine. We do this every spring. It will be nice to be up off the ground. Good times.

neighbormike likes this.
  9. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

I did driveway last month to introduce Jax the dog to the camper . Just him and me ,my wife was chicken hahahahah . Do to my surprise after he checked it all out he settled down and went to sleep . I thought he would be smelling rabbits that might be around the yard and trying to leap out the screen window . No not at all so now were waiting for some good weather for us old folks to go with the dog camping . He will be with harness and short leash and I will be chained to a tree so he cant pull me away LOL.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  10. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Sounds good my friend .Too bad we weren't neighbors ,we could fix what was broke LOL.

11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is, but dogs LOVE campers!!

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

When I got my TT, I first added a few dog toys inside. Then I let the dogs in while I worked on it. They loved the new toys. So when we went camping, they were already used to the TT. The excitement of exploring new sights and smells became their focus.

When I traded that for the motorhome, I moved the toys into it. Then let the dogs hang out in it. They were fine except the first few times we drove in it. Moose-dog found the noise a bit unnerving at first. After a few short trips he settled in.

I've been doing the same with the cat. As soon as the 4th is over and fireworks have died down, I'll do a few nights driveway camping with the cat so he gets used to nighttime in it.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We have both Dog and Cat pets but if the cat goes along on the camping trip they seem to get scared real easy and will hit the door never to be seen again... Here we are out looking and looking for the cat everywhere not having any luck and finally just have to leave without the cat... He was probably just feet away watching us looking for him...

A dog on the other hand will come back to you if you holler out at him haha

After loosing one cat we never took our cat camping with us after that...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

14. Toedtoes

When I was a kid, my parents brought the cat once. He got out and went up a tree right before we were leaving. My dad said leave the cat. My mom said "you're going to get the cat".

He got the cat. We never took a cat camping again.

In my case, it's just me in the camper, so it won't be as likely to happen. And I'm getting the cat used to being in the camper. And he does come when called - well at least as well as Bat-dog. I also have appropriate gear for him: harness and leash, carrier, and portable crate. I wasn't planning on camping with a cat, but he moved in and is too social to stay home for several days by himself. My prior cat could manage 4 days home alone before he got lonely. This guy wouldn't make it 2 days. I don't want to have to board him if I don't have to.

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have never taken a cat camping, I don't intend to either. Lots of people do tho and that is their option.I usually have a dog or two (or three) they really seem to love camping. Lately it is just Pebbles and I the rest of the pack want to stay home with Mary.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Depends on the animal, my current cat dosent travel well at all. A trip in the car scares him almost to death. When i was a kid my mom brought one of our cats to a beach rental, he would go outside every day and came back on every night. Looking back on it now thats almost crazy.

17. Toedtoes

Many cats are traveling in RVs these days. You may never realize they are there in the campground.

I do have a very distant memory of taking the racoon camping at least once when I was a kid. And Dog-bird absolutely loves camping.

So taking a cat isn't as extreme as it sounds at first.