Camp for Diabetes

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by froggie, Dec 1, 2012.

1. froggie

froggie New Member

Maybe we could plan a national camp for diabetes event? Research and education are the keys to finding a cure.

2. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Sounds like it could be fun i have type 2 Diabetes.

3. froggie

froggie New Member

I'm sure the American Diabetes Association would help us organze.

4. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

I think it would the first one.

5. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

That would be pretty cool...my dad has type II. I have a lot of the same pre-conditions and have started diet and exercise to combat in hopes to avoid in the future.

6. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

God bless your Dad, I had type 2 really bad and gastric bypass and no more diabetes.

7. froggie

froggie New Member

Good for you! Diet and exercise and camping are really the key. My daughter has Type 1, so it isn't as easy, not that diet and exercise are easy. My 14 yr. old daughter has Type 1. However, with lots of camping and research, I'm confident there will be a cure.

8. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

My son is type1 (Diagnosed at 13 and is 16 now) and attends a camp in Gainesville, TX called Camp Sweeney. Kids from as far as Europe travel there every year. Worth the money to send them and they do have financial aid as well.

9. froggie

froggie New Member

I've heard of that camp. My daughter sees Dr. Long at Trinity Clinic in Tyler. Do the older kids like it?

10. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

My son is there right now as we speak and he is in love with the camp. Swears he will keep going even after he ages out. He is just a month shy of 17.

11. froggie

froggie New Member

We go back to Dr. Long in July. I will talk to her about it. We just got back from Fort Pickens National Park at Pensacola Beach. We met another Type 1 who had a diabetic service dog. My daughter fell in love (with the dog). Do you know much about this program? We camp a lot and Emmy is very active. Sometimes the lows sneak up on her. Having a dog you can take everywhere would also be compensation for having to deal with Type 1.

12. chrisxs5

chrisxs5 Test

We looked into it when he was first diagnosed but the cost can be well over 5k. I do OK in earnings, so assistance was out of the question. There are sites (Youcaring, giveforward) for saving and getting others to donate to a fund for specific things like this. But that was when you were still new to the entire diabetic seen. We saved for a little over year and spent the money on a pump instead.