camp grounds/camp host

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by jeeper88, Nov 13, 2019.

1. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Im getting ready to retire and I have been checking out the campgrounds around the US. Since a lot of you have traveled across the states, where do you think the best campgrounds are? We like kayaking, hiking, and biking. We have also considered camp host positions. I saw a few out west that charge 4$ for a shower!!! I have not been anywhere but Ohio and Fl. Thanks for any or all info.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Go West Young Man! The Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado.

neighbormike likes this.
  3. jeeper88

Thats where my wife says to go!!!! Do you have a favorite campground?

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It depends on your definition of best, including what you're using a specific campground to do (overnight, base camp, destination), time of year, activities, etc. Most of our camping is done in the 4 Corners states, with occasional foray farther. We mostly camp in public campgrounds - USFS, national and state parks, as well as the occasional private campground. Every type has a side variation of facilities, separation, distance from civilization. We don't use resort-level campgrounds though, just not our style.
    As campgrounds have been updated, some have added amenities of one sort or another, often power, sometimes water at sites. Still, many of our favorites have vault toilets, and water spigots at intervals around the campground.
    Yes, paying for showers is the norm for us most of the time. In some places, we consider ourselves lucky just to find a shower! Most of the Utah and AZ state parks we've stayed in have had showers included at part of the camping fee. The AZ SPs we've used have had at least a portion of sites with water and electric - handy even when I had a popup, for fan and/or electric mattress pad. (Temperature swings can be large in the desert -I dry camped south of Tucson in a private campground for a Sisters on the Fly event this past March - daytime temps were in the upper 80s and it was in the low 30s at night.)
    We will chose to stay somewhere that isn't as remote, or maybe has more sites than our ideal, in order to experience wonderful places. For example, we visit each Rim of Grand Canyon at least once a year, or try to do so. Dry camping at South Rim is our preference there, the campground is busy, but mostly (& surprisingly) pretty quiet - it seems to be the standard that most people are up and out early - it's been that way since our first visit in the early 90s. If we know it may be cold, we'll opt for Trailer Village (run by concessionaire), where there are full hookups. [First trip there with our second popup was in early Nov. 2012, we looked at the weather predictions, changed from dry camping in Mather to Trailer Village, and were very happy we'd done so when we woke to 6" of snow and temps in the teens. Having a space heater to supplement the furnace and an electric blanket was great over the next few days.] We like being in the park.

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Island Lake CG on the Beartooth Highway.

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. jeeper88

Im not looking at resorts. not my way of camping.

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

If you are looking to be a camp ground host, try American Land and Leisure

8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Granite Creek CG, Wyoming ECC4011D-15EF-4457-A56F-A5A33F8FCAE4.jpeg E84F2C1E-A1AF-4BD6-A830-598EA8B03271.jpeg E2D77822-8396-4A62-B7B0-C5B75453031C.jpeg 73351BC3-0A0E-46EA-A6A8-17A2152E89AE.jpeg

9. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

That's not West...:)

10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

It's the best of the west!

kcsa75 likes this.
  11. gladecreekwy

He’s from Florida so everything’s west

12. jeeper88

heck yea!! west of the Mississippi!!!

13. Overland

Overland Active Member

You own a Jeep.. your obligated to visit Colorado and Utah at least once. :)

In addition to the others mentioned.. Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I say you're retiring, go everywhere! Pick a road out of your town and look on the map at where it heads. Go that direction until you've seen everything. Then pick another road and repeat.

Kayak when and where you can along the way. Hike/walk everywhere. And enjoy the different sights.

BillyMc likes this.
  15. kitphantom

Playing it by ear can be a great way to wander a section of the country. However, there are places that are very difficult to find a camping spot in without reservations. We've done mostly reservation camping for more than 20 years, since the SW became popular - it's much more fun for us to know we have a camping spot, rather than driving 5-9 hours and then begin looking for a site. National parks tend to be filled shortly after the reservation window opens, usually 6 months in advance (longer for some concessionaire operated campgrounds); in many of the areas we like, even Forest Service campgrounds can fill. One of our favorites in CO did not fill in advance for Labor Day this year, but we were still happy to have had reservations, just in case - one of our other routine destinations does fill up way ahead of time these days.
    Our AZ friends, who are now retired and have been heading off on 3-6 week trips, have always hated making reservations. This year, for the first time, they made reservations for most of one trip, so they finally got into Watchman CG in Zion, North Rim of Grand Canyon, and a few other places, which have not been as easy to do on short term planning as in the past. While they felt it limited them to some extent - not being able to extend or reduce a stay easily, or needing to be at the next reservation, they admit it worked well for those places. They are planning their long late spring trip, and are making reservations as windows open up for the popular places, then will see how it goes for the remainder of the trip.

16. gladecreekwy

Wondering why you’re limited to CGs.? Even during the busiest time of the season here I can always find several dispersed sites to choose from just a few miles from the National Parks (GTNP & Yellowstone). Since most park CG and no FS CG have hookups anyway not sure what the attraction is. Seems like your paying to camp next to someone. Just my opinion

17. kitphantom

We just prefer to be in campgrounds. If we're not in a campground, it's called backpacking; although I can't do that anymore, my husband still does it. It's in good portion all about the reason we're out camping. Mostly, we camp to explore, the perk is we get to camp; we seldom camp just to camp. Camping allows us to get to places where there aren't always hotels, stretches the budget, we can do our own food, etc.
    We know there are often areas to disperse camp near where we want to be, though some of the ones we see look like moonscapes because they have been so over-used. I'm thinking especially of a couple on the way to one of our favorite campgrounds in Colorado - in fact they were more crowded over Labor Day weekend and week than the campground we were in. (& we had water spigots and dumpsters to use in the campground).
    In some places, we choose to be in a national park, for example, so that we have closer access to the places we want to explore. South Rim of Grand Canyon is a good example - we can hop the shuttles as we wish, we know how to get away from the crowds when we want to. It's also very handy for me, as I base camp while Courtenay is off below the Rim for 2-4 days.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I wasn't thinking that the OP would have to play it by ear. Rather that he pick a direction rather than ask people for where he should go. Once you pick a direction, you can look for campgrounds that sound interesting and make reservations.

19. jeeper88

Thats what we do now, we pick a direction in the state of fl and search for a campground that has a few sites open. Yesterday we went to Golden Head SP NE of Gainesville. It had tent and bigg class As in it. Two lakes and a ton of deer. I think xmas we will head up again camp for a few days.

20. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Retirement is still 10 years out for me, but already have a bucket list of places to visit. Last night I asked DW where her first choice for an extended camping trip was when I retire. She said Alaska! From South Carolina that's about as extended as you can get. I said I'm good with that, but it has to be a summer trip. Rough estimate 10 days driving. Figure to start with a northern route going out in the spring. Spend a month or so in Alaska, then start a southern route back home. With stops I'm estimating three weeks to get there and for the longer southern return about four weeks.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    Camper054 likes this.