Camp Kitchen Box Recommendations

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by michaeltdyer, Jul 26, 2016.

1. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

I am thinking of getting a portable camp kitchen box or some kind of portable cupboard to use as a pantry when camping. My vision is that I can load it up in the house ahead of time and just carry it out to the camper and pack it with my cooler and then when I get to the campsite, set it up inside or outside depending on the weather. I'm wondering if any of you use anything like this and what models you might recommend.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've used plastic boxes for our food supplies, and for many years also had a "kitchen" box. The kitchen box had a small teakettle, eating and cooking utensils and dishes. We used flat, under-bed size boxes. We kept this configuration over 20 years, through 3 or 4 vehicles, ground camping, and both pups. Both pups were so small that we couldn't have kept our food supplies inside, even had we wanted to do so.
    Those boxes were very handy to carry to the picnic table, or outdoor kitchen area (we use roll-up aluminum tables). We do not leave food supplies out, except when cooking and eating. We camp in places where animals and birds are a concern. One reason for sturdy plastic boxes is that we have had mice in the TV with all of our vehicles, except the current truck.
    We pack the boxes at the beginning of the season and restock as needed. Since they're in the house between trips, it is easy to do that.
    A couple of years ago, we changed from the flat boxes to some Really Useful ones. By having different sizes, along with some other plastic boxes, it made better use of space in the 4Runner. Even though we have space inside the TT, we didn't change much, until our May trip this year. We discovered that the truck is not very dust-resistant. That forced us to reassess, and we decided top try taking food supplies in the TT, in those same Really Useful boxes. We did, however, cull our collection of kitchen box and some other items, to reduce the number of boxes. We realized we hadn't used a bunch of things since we bought the TT (most of our cooling and eating utensils are in the cupboards and drawers).
    For us, the box system is very flexible, and less bulky than some of the chuck boxes and other pantry-like designs we see. Since we don't leave food out, whatever makes it easy to cook and clean up is our preferred route.

3. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We use a doskocil campe mate. If you can find one, you won't regret it.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

For me, I just use simple plastic box or a cardboard box. For me I keep all my food in the car. I sometimes camp in bear prone areas and i will tell you, racoon's are smart buggers. So Im usually vary careful regarding food. I still sometimes cook in the trailer , but once done I clean everything up and put things back in the car and remove trash. When getting ready to cook I pull out what I need and nothing else.

5. samh

samh Campin'

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I primarily use a Camp Mate Kitchen box as well. These have been discontinued for many years now. I bought mine used on craigslist. However - it is by far the best chuck box I have run across. Stores a stove, pots/pans and cooking supplies. I pair it with an adjustable height folding aluminum table, and it puts it at the perfect height for using outside. I love mine.

I also recently picked up a Beaver Tree chuck box at a garage sale a couple months ago. I also like this one - it is smaller and easier to transport than the Camp Mate, but has a little less utility as it lacks the swing out doors. However - for quicker trips I can see myself moving gear to it, and using the Camp Mate on longer stays.

http://domsoutdoor.com/beaver-tree-camp-kitchen-organizer/p/1-012886/

I also have an old Plano tackle box - looks like a tool box on steroids. They don't make this model anymore, but I have used it for years to hold cooking gear and general camp setup gear.

I do keep some gear in the camper, and I am continually tweaking how things are stored and transported. Right now the camper holds the larger skillets and griddles, tea maker, spare plates/bowls/cups and a small stock pot. The chuck box holds a spare stove (I primarily cook on my Road Trip grill hooked up to the camper), utensils and all cooking tools, nesting set of pots/pans, various cutting boards, set of nesting steel mixing bowls with lids, nesting plate set, spices/non stick spray/cooking oil, table cloth, paper towels, pot holders and a small dish cleaning kit.

7. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

8. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

I had to go look...I need to add finish pics of mine