Camp Kitchens - Necessity or Convenience Item

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Popsrock, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

A 48"x32" folding table works for us as far as food prep and cooking as necessary. But I do want to make a grub box. It's nice to have an organizer that can be secured in seconds and eliminates digging through totes for cooking items.

As far as cooking we'll use a Coleman stove if weather or time is a factor, but we (i.e. me) prefers to cook over an open fire. I use an adjustable grate

2. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Thanks Nascar Fan!! First though, what's an RVQ? I'm thinking you mean the outdoor stove? I love love the shelf thing. I think, if I put my table close like yours, and just sat my stove ON the table (it's mounted on a box), my stove's gas line would still reach AND I could have a shelf!

Yep, gonna steal this one too! [8D]

Thanks again!
    [:D]

3. Popsrock

Popsrock New Member

My sincere thanks to everyone who replied. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the information, especially those who took the extra time to share thoughts about campsite cooking and personal notes which indicated your love of the outdoors in general and camping in particular. I am back to the drawing board before making any decisions on purchase, and will be wandering the campground to see what is being used and to solicit comments. Great way for us new campers to meet all the wonderful people who frequent this forum. THANKS AGAIN !!

4. traindude

traindude ORYGUN

Be cause we dont do any cooking or prep in the pup. I think a camp kitchen is a most That way we have a place to prep our food or a place to cook if we dont use the fire.
    [​IMG]

5. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    As I'm sure you've figured out by now, it's all a matter of preference and priorities.

I have several different configurations, depending on where I'm camping, how long, and who with. The most basic is having my sink and stove outdoors:

[​IMG]

In this picture, you will see that I have the outdoor sink and stove set up along with my Cabellas camping kitchen.

[​IMG]

I also have their Cooking Station that I use for shorter trips when it's just me and the kids. It's smaller, lighter, and easier to set up.

If I'm camping with my whole family or a large group of friends, I bring along the large kitchen. If it's just me and the kids for a few days, I bring the smaller one. The sink and stove are pretty standard.

6. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

We love our Cabella's camp kitchen even though it is heavy and adds setup time. It fits right under the dinette for traveling. It's so nice having the counter space to prepare meals and freeing up the picknic table for eating, as others have said.

7. Popsrock

Popsrock New Member

NASCAR FAN....I love your set-up! Efficient, complete, and very much the kind of table I like to frequent. Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed; so many wonderful ideas.....

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

My "camp kitchen" is a two-burner portable propane stove set on the picnic table or, if one isn't present, my small aluminum folding table. I minimize cooking on camping trips (too much else to do) so I don't need much equipment. Also, there is the question of what kind of camping you do. Even if I wanted to cook a lot an elaborate camp kitchen would be a horrible PIA to set up and tear down every few days on a long mileage, multi-week touring trip (to say nothing of space and weight requirements). If you just go to one place, stay there and then come home I guess it could work for some but not for me.

9. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Unstable Tripod, if I camped the way you do, I would undoubtedly feel the same way. Boondocking is about simplicity.