camp rakes

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Arlyn Aronson, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Not sure where to post this, but we bring a rake with us to clear leaves and small branches from camp sites. That is while boon-docking or at NFS campgrounds. We found this type of expanding rake very good at the job and easy to bring along since it collapses. The ones with a plastic clamp at the base, are not good. They break.
    9b0608a9-9689-4b65-aa99-69512b4622c3_1.ed0b0306f81e2adc90763f4bd84e7494.jpeg 21fa233d-83c1-475b-a565-8298fadc550e_1.16abe7cc575e479ddd1fe378ec9e3630.jpeg .

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I can understand using that for tent camping. Sleeping on rock, sticks, etc can ruin a night. However with the trailer I don’t see the need. If I need to put a stake in the ground I just kick said rock. It’s actually quite neat and may buy it for my home. As my shed isn’t big enough for a regular lawnmower much less the rest of your garden equipment. A collapsing rake can save room.

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I've been using one for years, not for camping but at home, to get between shrubbery to clean out leaves. Drawbacks, are it likes to poke through leaves and builds leaves up on the tines quickly. It also gets stiffer when set narrow.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  4. Arlyn Aronson

Here is what a NFS camp fire ring looks like here in the upper peninsular of MI that we commonly stay at. The area around the ring should be cleared of leaves or other burnable materials. At the camper door, lessening of the leaves helps to keep your camper cleaner. No, I'm not anal abut camp site cleanliness. [{:)] P1060417.jpg

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Bought the same type of collapsing rake years ago, liked it so much I bought a second for a buddy who is particularly anal about keeping his campsite neat & tidy. It's one of those items that deserves a permanent place in the camper. [A]

friartuck and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  6. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Where'd you get yours, trying to cut back on Amazon returns lol...is this it?
    https://www.amazon.com/Telescopic-F...ywords=telescoping+rake&qid=1591715228&sr=8-6

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. Arlyn Aronson

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Rik Peery likes this.
  9. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I prefer not to disturb nature...I like to leave things natural....LOL

10. PA-Scott

PA-Scott Active Member

I have one of those from Camping World, it's a hand me down from the in-laws when they gave up camping. Since my wife and I were the only ones who camped (with them mostly) we ended up with lots of "this and that" stuff.

Arlyn Aronson and Rik Peery like this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

These things are great. We have a few of them and the scout troop has several. I like a wide area free from leaves around the fire pit also great for clearing an area for a tent or other shelter.
    We use it to clean the area for the rug in the screen room. Screen room attaches to the front of the PUP with a camp rug on the ground. Shoes come off in the screen room so we're in and out with bare feet that don't like finding were a rock is hiding under the rug. Inside the PUP stays much cleaner this way.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I use mine almost every trip to clear around the fire pit. Had it in my pups and now in the TT.

13. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

When I first saw the post heading "Camp rakes", I thought well this is going to go off the rails quick. I've been surprised.

Rik Peery likes this.
  14. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

We have one and use it also. Sometimes the leaf piles are just to thick to ignore around the campsite pad.

15. Arlyn Aronson

This subject seems to be plenty popular! After it shows and and we get it into service, I'll post a report of the one we ordered. Might try to go camping this weekend, and have a older rake with us. When you reside in a northern hardwood forest, campfires and rakes are the mix to have along.

Rik Peery likes this.
  16. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

I just ordered the one I posted above, wife can use it at home under shrubs etc...bought a cheap broom ($1.48) at Wally Wild after our last trip, dang cicadas/brown beetles etc all over the fold out camp rug, wife was raising hay lol

17. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I'd never thought about carrying a rake in the camper until we stayed at Cherry Creek State Park outside Denver a couple years ago. When we arrived the campsite was clean as a whistle. Every time somebody left a guy came by to clean the site. He cleaned the ashes out of the fire ring and ranked the entire site.

We don't carry a rake but may start taking one along on our early spring trips before the campground/state park staff has been through to clean up the stuff that accumulated over the winter.

18. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

My hubby brings one to tend the meditation/
    My hubby has the exact same rake. We make sure to bring it on each camping trip so he can tend his “zen garden”. We are new to the pop up world. Bought and renovated a 2000 Jayco Eagle. Setting it up can sometimes be a bit stressful....we recommend the zen garden approach to mitigate any residual effects that process might have on blood pressure. Even the kids say “Don’t forget daddy’s zen rake.”