Camp rug storage in PVC or fishing rod tube?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Sensei, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Carly Habenschuss

Carly Habenschuss New Member

I saw this somewhere where they store it in a pipe on the back...http://www.rainandpine.com/pop-up-camper-mods-and-hacks-pop-up-camping/

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The polypropylene rugs we have fold like a road map, rolling them to fit in a tub would be more difficult than just putting them in a trash bag, which is what we did if they were too dirty to pack inside without the bag. With our current truck, they just get stashed in the truck bed. We store them in the garage once home. If they need hosing off, we do it them and dry well, as well as polypropylene dries, it gets gross if it stays closed up when wet and muddy.
    We do have a Valterra PVC tube installed on our TT, used for the sewer hose. It's pretty good sized, is also suggested as suitable for fishing poles.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Many folks refer to PVC, which is usually either white or green. I used a length of DWV, which is the black plastic drain pipe. It's readily available at box stores up to 4", and a good plumbing supply will have it larger. Just get a glue-on cap for one end, and a threaded cleanout fitting for access. I have it under the rear bumper of our Santa Fe, and it carries the prop rods for our awning. That way, I don't have to deal with the extra weight and bulk when rolling it up by hand.

4. Chad Bonnema

Chad Bonnema New Member

Just bought a used cargo carrier for the roof ($25). I plan to put the outdoor carpet, bag chairs, E-Z up canopy, and outdoor games in the cargo carrier. That way, I can keep all the dirt, leaves, water, and anything collected from the outdoors in the carrier and not in the camper or tow vehicle.

NonnaRae and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Roof pods are awesome. I have a Yakima I got for $50 on CL, and it has been invaluable for road trips and camping. For road trips all our duffle bags of clothes and other soft/bulky stuff rides up top so we have more room in the van. For camping the long stuff goes up there - camp chairs, tables, etc.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. NonnaRae

NonnaRae New Member

I have also been considering a mat and the storage constraints. I have decided to purchase a CGear anti sand mat. It folds up and can be stowed easily in the under compartment or in the back of my SUV. This is definitely the simpler solution for me.

https://www.cgear-sandfree.com/collections/camping/products/original-sand-free-mat

Best of luck!