Camp Stoves

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Pirate_Popup, Dec 14, 2015.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Pretty much every Walmart I have been in has them, even the Walmart in Cancun Mexico...

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@gladecreekwy We too think that the white gas stoves seem to have more oomph than LP, esp. the ones using 1# bottles. Friends who prefer LP camp stoves changed over to using a 5# or so bulk tank, and that's an improvement over the 1# canisters. I've found the same with our Little Red Campfire using the 20# tank.We live at 6000' and tend to camp higher. The LP stove in the TT is not as wimpy as the ones in the pups were, particularly the one in the first pup.
    I grew up with a Coleman camp stove, so to me it's just "right". We have 3, but usually only take one on a trip. Courtenay's backpacking stove is an MSR Whisperlite, which also uses white gas. While it has had a reputation for no having a "simmer" setting, he found it is perfectly possible to simmer, as long as it is not over pumped for pressurizing. Some of his backpacking is at 9-10,000', maybe a tad higher, so the reliability of the stove is important.
    While we do more cooking inside the TT than we planned, we still take the camp stove on most trips. Nice to have two stoves anyway, just in case. We carry an extra generator, and know how to do upkeep as necessary.

3. Brad Jackson

Brad Jackson Member

Yes he was... r.i.p grandpa

4. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

Oh man this thread has quite a few posts! I just want to drop my 2c- I like most of the ozark trail stuff. Price per pound ya know?

5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Wally world stuff might be OK, but we've used very little of it. We commonly camp at remote sites and quite a ways from the nearest store/gas station and a restaurant much further yet. That means cooking apparatus dependability is at a premium for us and we even bring a emergency backup stove along. I must admit to a have used it less than once per year..... Oh well.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I like the blackstone griddle. Much more then the cheap stove i had. Yes its not exactly a stove, or grill but it will be my new go to cooking appliance.

brwarrior likes this.
  7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

We often bring the MSR Whisperlite stove packed in our gear even though the Coleman is the primary stove. This is useful for situations where there is a failure of the primary stove, OR when the meal prep needs 3 burners...

Another good backup is a folding cooking grate that you can use to put over your camp fire...

8. kitphantom

I learned the hard way to have a backup method of cooking. A friend and I met to camp, she had their cook stove, I had the one in the pup. Neither of them worked, though now that it's several years later I don't remember what the issues were. I had my propane Little Red Campfire, but didn't have the support ring, so we couldn't even heat water.
    This was reinforced last month when I ran out of LP in the TT on the last morning - turned out I had a leak in one pigtail and the other was blocked, so the tank I had refilled didn't help. At least I had a site with power, so could use the microwave.

9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

So dumb question. Am I the only one that tests camp appliances prior to trips?

Sjm9911 and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  10. Arlyn Aronson

We have a MSR whisper but only use it for backpacking. The extra one in the camper is an old duel fuel 533 or something like that.

Good food and being able to cook it, is important to us. [CK]

stove (2).jpg

Milemaker13 likes this.
  11. Arlyn Aronson

We do. But sometimes its a long n bumpy trip to location Y....

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    kitphantom likes this.
  12. kitphantom

What Arlyn said - things happen. Testing before a trip is the reason we have two 425 Coleman camp stoves. We discovered just before a trip that the main valve had gone bad, and no one in town had it in stock. We ordered a new one, but also bought a stove for the (3 week) trip. The LP issue with the TT this year happened at the end of a 10-day trip, when the stove, furnace, and fridge had all worked well..

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Well, of COURSE one tests the fridge!!!

I guess we have redundancy for all our appliances. If the fridge goes, well, we have a cooler because the fridge is too small. Furnace? Well, we do have sleeping bags so we won't die or anything. We always carry a Coleman stove for outside cooking even though we don't always use it.

It would sure suck to lose the water pump though. If that happened, we'd probably head back before we'd gone through our drinking water jugs.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ouch , that sucks. I was toying with the idea of taking the grill and the new griddle. Now i might do that. I always take 4 smaller propane bottles just in case. In fact i bring too much just in case stuff.......

15. KeatesCamping

KeatesCamping Member

We use this Coleman one that has a grill and a burner, and we also pack well an electric frying pan.
    https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/academy/10036299?$grid-desktop$

16. Arlyn Aronson

I suppose we shouldn't make cooking in camp without any services, sound like its so complicated. It really isn't. After having X failures in the field, we started to bring backups for things that might force us to go home without. An operable cooking apparatus is one. A water filter is another.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    kitphantom likes this.
  17. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I’m always using mine so I know they work but things happen.

18. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

I do a full systems check in spring to see that everything survived the winter, but my approach is less about checking before we go, and more about having redundancies

I have a biolite fire pit that can cook food, an Atwood HP stove on the outside of my camper, and a coleman stove, plus a grill (either a Weber charcoal or a napoleon Propane, depending on my mood and the trip)

The old coleman stove is due to get retired, but it will get moved to the shed for emergency power outage reserve duty, while my main camping gear will continue to overwinter in the camper

19. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

How do you like the biolite fire pit? I just bought one at the end of last year and have yet to use it. First test will be at the SoCalish rally.

20. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

Great for fires and because you can really flare them up high with the fan, you can burn the wood down to embers in a third of the time too