Camp365 concept

Discussion in 'Vintage & Off The Wall Campers' started by arge, Aug 18, 2020.

1. arge

arge Active Member

Hi all
    Camp365 https://camp365.com/ and it looks interesting. a bit pricey, but definitely interesting.
    Still I don't get where they can fit 6? I know the industry practice is to bump the numbers, I have a tent trailer where supposedly can sleep 8 and I can fit 6 or 7 at the most in squishy mod, but still, how the heck you can pretend that you can fit 2 ppl in a bunk bed 30" wide? 4 ppl in total for a full bunk? at least if there were 40" wide...
    I am looking for a unit where 5 can sleep comfortably and a bit of privacy, so I will be watching to see if they will come with new models in the following years...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    nectarsis likes this.
  2. nectarsis

nectarsis New Member

I didnt see pricing, like the design.

3. arge

arge Active Member

from what I seen, starts at around $20,000, something decent loaded 24-25,000 and goes up to 30-ish.
    In Canada I found a dealer with a tag price at 42,000 Cad, but not sure about the configuration. Not that I am looking to buy tomorrow, but I like kicking tires on this one...
    I thing that an extra mattress on the floor, next to the bunks can solve the sleeping issue (family of 5 in my case), but also, oh men, spending tens of thousands of $ and getting no floor space and improvising a bed... it doesn't seems right.

nectarsis likes this.
  4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I think all of the setting up and stowing of beds, kitchen and bathroom would get old pretty quickly.

kcsa75 and nectarsis like this.
  5. nectarsis

nectarsis New Member

yeah for $30-40 you should be able to get s NICE TT with a LOT more room

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Like it or not this camper sure is interesting! What is surprising to me is that it appears to be an American designed & manufactured product rather than Australian or European where unique designs we never see here in N America are quite common.

nectarsis likes this.
  7. arge

arge Active Member

I agree, but if you have a tent trailer you will have to do that anyway. It will be interesting to see how long would take a full setup. I think the setup time will be more or less the same. Maybe a bit better for this new concept, but marginal.
    The advantage over the tent trailer would be the insulated walls, the partial hard walls and the fact it is narrow (I have to park my 7' wide trailer trough a 8' wide gate in a back alley on a slope with no vehicle access. It is a pain)

8. arge

arge Active Member

100% I agree, but the bigger it is, the heavier it gets and more difficult to tow, car upgrade etc. Too bad this concept is such expensive. I will be willing to take a bite if was cheaper. So, I may need to wait for the used units.

nectarsis likes this.
  9. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I got the impression that one would have to stow the beds and set up the kitchen for daytime use, and vice versa.

10. arge

arge Active Member

It looks like it is some sort of doable with queen bed and bunk bed. I have seen in the pictures the table and the beds both open.
    The issue is you can't use the table and at the same time use the sink, stove or the potty or the fridge below. Not sure about the potty and fridge setup, I may be wrong here.
    It's true, too much hassle and you have some situations use one or another, but not both. It may work great for a couple, but definitely, it is not a family friendly camper regardless it is promoted as such.
    I am looking at a picture and I see a couple on a bed, two kids on bunks and branded across the screen: SLEEPS 6. Where the heck can sleep 6? are you going to put two kids in a bunk, sleeping at the both ends of the bunk? This is an emergency solution, not standard sleeping arrangements. Not sure why they didn't said: sleep 18 as we can fit 18 three months babies in...

nectarsis likes this.
  11. Tyl

Tyl Member

I like where they're going with this but with a 6 foot wheel base it's only 7 inches slimmer than my Coleman Huron and weighs more.

1380ken likes this.
  12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I believe it will sleep six... standing up! Definitely a cool concept.

13. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member Silver Supporting Member

camping really needs something like this, to fill the niche between tent camping and TT. something small vehicle towable. was hoping for a price point < $10,000. maybe a plainer version...like the Apache's from the 60's / 70's, could hit a price point like that. do folks really want all the bells and whistles or just a dry place to sleep? wonder if a business model like Casita (direct delivery, no dealers) would help them bring down the cost? Understand that when you are starting up with limited production, costs are going to be higher but $20,000? same for the tear drops, wow the prices on those are out of sight.

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I like the concept, but price is way more than I can see spending, but if your limited in tow ability and storage, I can see it working for someone. I agree about it being a couples camper, Or small family. Personally I wouldn’t be using the kitchen and everything . It would be treated like a bedroom on wheels. Much like a teardrop but bigger. An outside shower Hookup I can see would be beneficial but everything else I don’t see worth it. Thing is, I think they have a too small market nitch for that price. Most Americans want more bang for their buck. They want a TT with the works than a Camper transformer for the same price. If you have $20k to throw on a toy they will usually have the money to also buy a new tow vehicle to haul a bigger unit if they don’t have one already. Now if they managed to lower the manufacturing cost they open themselves up to those people who want to get out, but can’t afford to spend a ton of money. People more open to the less is more concept.

neighbormike likes this.
  15. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

They tout no canvas or nylon ANYWHERE. So what is with those flappy things? Also, I would be concerned with the very low ground clearance just behind the hitch.

16. arge

arge Active Member

The canvas appearance material that we can see is described to be some sort of highly engineered membrane. Basically it is a canvas for me. They says it is not canvas as it will not mold etc, but it is a fabric thing anyway, soft wall

It is cool concept but I don't see getting traction unless they will come with some improvements or a very dramatic price decrease. For that amount of money I will expect a toilet, functional galley and sitting table. The sleeping capacity is a subject for discussion, we have different needs, but I will say that the average camper will ask for the toilet, galley and table for that amount of money.
    I guess the hybrid campers are still a solid choice and fills the gap pretty well

17. Tyl

Tyl Member

You're literally describing my 1980 Coleman Huron. It's 950lbs dry and I tow it with my Subaru Impreza. It came originally equipped with a small table, two benches, stove and sink. Pop ups have gotten super heavy in the last 30 years but it doesn't need to be that way. I think this is a very clever product but maybe a bit TOO clever to meet a decent price point.

neighbormike likes this.
  18. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member Silver Supporting Member

when i was a teenager, one of my buddies purchased an Apache PUP, not sure the year. it was all canvas, no hard top. he towed it with a ford pinto, 4 cylinder, 4 speed. (for those of you who don't know, a pinto was about the size of a current day ford focus (compact). i think it weighed something like 600 pounds. one trip we went to colorado and camped out for a week. awesome, great trip, even without full hookups.

but the upsizing phenomena seems to have caught up with us in camper world, subject only to the limits of what can be towed. i have seen everything but a double decker bus camper and i'll bet there is one out there. for me the perfect camper would be a pickup camper shell or maybe a teardrop. or maybe a 5 * 10 teardrop, or a pup (with a pullout, of course) or a Casita or a fifth wheel with tandem axles or a full size bus. LOL!!!

19. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

They are counting two small kids per the smaller fold out beds, and two adults in the queen bed. Pretty standard with camper and tent sleeping counts but unrealistic. Figure four max.

For $20,000+, I would get a better tow vehicle and buy a used hybrid. More comfortable all around for a growing family.

I call these trailers "sleepers". They offer kitchens and bathrooms as an expensive option, but their purpose is simply for sleeping off the ground. They aren't built for anything more robust than that. They aren't meant to haul your camping supplies - all that goes in your car. They aren't meant for more than simple summer camping. Basically, they are a tent and blow up mattress on wheels. They don't simplify the camping process at all.

For what they are, the prices are far greater than a simple popup or a used 18-20ft travel trailer. Families on a budget will not consider them. Couples wanting to simplify their camping won't bother. Campers wanting a simple off the ground bed will buy a utility trailer and cots for less than $1,000. So, you get the yuppie couple with no kids who live in the city and decide they want to camp. The trailer will go out once, the couple will decide renting a cabin is easier, and the trailer will rot in storage.

20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

You'll never see a used unit. None of these sleepers ever see the used market.