Camper canvas removal issues

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by dhc2021, Nov 23, 2021.

1. dhc2021

dhc2021 New Member

Hey all, I finally popped my new to me 1977 lionel tent trailer and needless to say it will need a new canvas, as it's ripped and pretty much falling apart in my hands. The bottom of the canvas that hooks to the body of the tent trailer was in a semi circle kind of track and had a yellow cord running through it and pulled out of the track easy, the top where it hooks into the roof is a different story, it seems to be locked in a continuous track that goes all the way around the inside of the roof, with no opening anywhere to slide it out. There is a piece of hard rubber sewn into the top of the canvas that is in the track, I've tried pulling on it, and using a pick tool, and I can't get it to come out........ is there something I'm missing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

It may be an Arrowhead bead that pops into the track. You may have to find an end and put something in the track to pop out the arrowhead or slide it out an open end (usually very hard to do)....... save all the pieces and send them to whoever does the replacement.

3. dhc2021

dhc2021 New Member

It's just a flat edge that sits in the track but it doesn't seem to want to come out, hopefully the new one goes back in easy

4. dhc2021

dhc2021 New Member

[​IMG] that's pretty much what it looks like with the channel on the roof being black and the canvas being in red

5. dhc2021

dhc2021 New Member

Hopefully someone can help me lol

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Small screwdriver, machinist scribe, awl, hook pick, etc. May need a heat gun to soften the rubber.

7. dhc2021

dhc2021 New Member

Lol yeah but the canvas is so brittle there and is already ripped, so I Have to be as Carefull as possible removing it as I'm most likely sending it to bear creek canvas to use as a pattern for a new canvas

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Call to see if they have a template allready. Of they fo no need to be gentile.

9. dhc2021

dhc2021 New Member

I tried calling them but they are currently closed for a week