Camper Cover

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Econ, May 6, 2021.

1. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

What is the official purpose of a cover on the camper? The previous owner gave us a new Tyvek cover. It is full of holes so it cant be for water proofing. What problem is it trying to cure?

Thanks

2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

Here in the Southwest, it's to protect against UV damage. The sun here in SoCal will eat your trailer if left exposed.

Econ and DiamondGirl like this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

The cover keeps a lot of dirt off the camper. I see a lot campers with black streaks down the sides. All that fine dirt is filling every joint and crevice with fine dirt that holds water looking for a way in. Also, UV protection for windows, seals, vents, decals, and AC covers.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  4. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

I agree… Here in the AZ desert, it kept DiamondGirl looking new for many years. The cover and our Carolina Carport worked well for us. The Carolina carport now houses our boat and motorcycle. And we’re saving $$$$ for a RV carport for KODI. KODI only has a cover for now.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Econ likes this.
  5. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Do people in AZ leave the car out on the drive or are they all under covers?

DiamondGirl likes this.
  6. DiamondGirl

Most folks will park their vehicles under carports and garages if available. If you can’t park under a carport or inside a garage, then a cover is the next option. Most folks won’t cover their car, truck or SUV’s cause it’s a PITA to do it each time. Paint will fade, bake, peel or flake.

Some RV dealerships offer ceramic paint applications or protection treatments. My friends got it on their hybrid trailer. I’m looking for a ceramic paint treatment next year for KODI.

I take my SUV to the dealership for its paint protection treatment every six months.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Econ likes this.
  7. John the Baptist

John the Baptist Member

Hi- more cover questions-

I have a cover with a white (Aquashed?) top and grey polypropylene sides. The top looks good after 3 years, sheds rain, and breathes well with no mildew. The grey sides are falling apart, I guess from sun damage.

I'm considering replacing with another brand that claims maximum UV resistance. It's all grey, with both top and sides made from polyester.
    Do you think it would-
    Hold up better to sun damage?
    Breathe as well for moisture control?

Also, we had a very rainy spring, and when I pulled the current cover off after 8 months for a recent trip, the lug nuts were rusty and the 1 year old tires were shedding some black off the sidewall. There's several inches of space between the cover's sides and the wheels, and they didn't get splashed on because the wheels are inset under the trailer and the cover reached the ground; and it's parked on coarse gravel, not dirt. Does the polypropylene on the sides not breathe?

Thank you!

8. WrkrBee

DiamondGirl likes this.
  9. DiamondGirl

My recommendation is to contact the manufacturer of the cover. My first cover was not meant to be used in the harsh AZ desert. It barely lasted a year and disintegrated. I got a free replacement under their warranty. Then I got a Carolina carport for my Aliner and it disintegrated again almost a year later. I spoke with the company representative and they told me I was using the wrong model for my climate type. I would have to buy a new one. So I went with a different brand recommended for my desert environment. My 2nd brand worked better than the expensive first cover. It’s now with DiamondGirl’s new owner. DH bought a different brand RV cover for KODI. This is year one and we shall see how that works out. KODI received a ceramic paint protection treatment from the dealership. I’m hoping the cover and treatment will protect KODI until I get an RV carport. It’s tough to get a permit right now.

FWIW: The family that bought DiamondGirl said she looked almost new compared to others they saw that were newer models. Having the Aliner covered and underneath a Carolina carport helped maintain DiamondGirl’s youthful appearance. I also got lots of compliments when camping around AZ from other campers.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  10. John the Baptist

John the Baptist Member

Thank you all, very helpful. I cover because my parking pad is partially covered by juniper trees that drop globs of sap and needles, and gets a lot of bird poop when they feed on the berries in the spring. I also like the protection if a caulk joint or seal starts failing and I don't catch it promptly.

I know, trim the trees. I was thinking their partial shade would be helpful overall, and I like the feeding frenzy of robins and waxwings in early spring. I'll try the different cover I found and see how it goes.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

National Covers are heavy duty

DiamondGirl likes this.
  12. DiamondGirl

The ADCO 22894 only lasted a year before it disintegrated each time (original & replacement covered under warranty) under a Carolina Carport in the AZ desert. Then we went with a RV Masking PopUp cover that lasted longer than the ADCO. It’s also cheaper. The RV Masking cover lasted five years under my Carolina Carport before being sold earlier this year. You may have better luck since my AZ desert climate is EXTREMELY harsh.

We now have a RV Masking cover on KODI. It will be awhile before we get a RV Carport installed. The cover is holding up so far since February.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

13. John the Baptist

John the Baptist Member

Thanks for the National Covers and RV Cover Store links. Didn't know about those; more to check out.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  14. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

In 2014 I bought a Carver popup camper cover. That was the first year we owned our pup, and I wanted to get something before winter. The guy who runs the storage lot where I stored it laughed and asked if I wanted to be contacted mid-winter when it blew apart.

That wasn't my experience though. The thing is very heavy and after all this time, has only a few tiny holes and thin spots. It is, however, extremely dirty, and my efforts to clean it have not been successful.

Since we're in the process of bringing the camper home to be stored in a newly created space for it, I decided it might be nice to replace the cover. But lo and behold, turns out Carver quit making RV covers in 2018. Boo.

Seems the most popular option now is ADCO, but I read MANY stories about how they last a year or two (or less), are paper-thin and once they tear, they rip like paper, etc. I won't be happy with that after my Carver cover, which has about as heavy of fabric as my pup itself. Mind you, the Carver cost about $225, vs $60-80 for the ADCO.

Does nobody make a quality popup cover anymore?

15. WrkrBee

You may have to get one made, at a boat cover shop, out of Sunbrella or something similar. Most common manufacturers covers are made from polypropylene now.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  16. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

We have a table top fire "pit" that I bought that came with a cover that I'm assuming was polypropylene. Lasted about one season and that was with some gorilla tape repairs. My wife made a new one out of some fabric we got from Sailrite.com (we also recovered our sling patio chairs with the same fabric).

Really didn't want to make one of these though. It's just stupid you can't buy a decent cover at any price point.