Camper- Curious in Coastal Texas

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by teh603, Dec 28, 2020.

1. teh603

teh603 Member

Hi. I'm teh603, from coastal Texas, and I'm interested in getting a popup. My wife and I went tent camped in 2019 (and had planned on going on at least two more trips in before COVID threw a monkeywrench into everything), and are pretty sure we want to get a popup. Not sure of the time frame, though. Could be 2021, or maybe even 2022 or later.

Tom Jordan and 1380ken like this.
  2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome from Michigan and good luck on the search!

3. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Congratulations on starting the search. How handy are you with electric and mechanical systems?

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Greetings! Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

There are many posts about what to look for when buying and what to stay away from. Since you aren't rushing in, I recommend you start by daydreaming about the setup and takedown. Consider other types of campers and make sure the popup will work best for you.

Next, start looking at popup layouts. Do some daydreaming about how you will camp in each layout. Think about getting up and dressed in the mornings, getting ready for bed at night, rainy weather, and cooking. Make sure the layout works for you.

Once you've determined what is your best fit, look at weights: tow capacity, payload, tongue weight, etc. Use the GVWR of the trailer not the dry weight. Make sure your choice of tow vehicle will be enough to tow your preferred trailer. Best bet is to stay at 80% or less of tow capacity and payload - that will allow for some growth (kids, pets) and traveling in mountains.

NMroamer likes this.
  7. teh603

teh603 Member

Better with electrical than mechanical, but I'm not too bad with either? I can do home and a bit of car electrical at least. Never done boats or campers but I'm not sure it'd be that much harder.

We've talked about it? If we got a hard shell, it'd have to be a really light one like a Casita, but we'd both sorta prefer a popup.

We don't plan on having kids, but we also haven't ruled out adoption. So we could end up going camping with a reluctant high schooler.

As for tow vehicle, that depends on the cops and insurance right now, but that's another story entirely. Hopefully I'll be able to use my '06 Colorado? It's the good one with the 3.5, so it's got plenty of horsepower for a popup.

8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

9. Jack Sprat

Jack Sprat Active Member Gold Supporting Member

What Toed said, and welcome from NC.

10. Bill Waddill

Bill Waddill New Member

Welcome! We are from Coastal Texas (Corpus) as well! We purchased our pup a few months back and are looking forward to camping many times in 2021! It didn't take us too long to find one! Our first trip out was to Garner State park in the beginning of December! Lil chilly outside, but the furnace kept us warm at night! Our next trip is in March to a water park in Sheridan! Hope you get what you are looking for and maybe we will meet up along the way! Enjoy!

Bill

11. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

Welcome teh603
    We are south of Houston. There are tons of good posts on here. Read all that you can then see which one is going to fit your style and needs. Everyone's are different.