Camper Curtains

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Twinmum, May 28, 2020.

1. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Hi all, Hope this post finds everyone well, and not too stir crazy . Ok down to business. We bought a 2000 jayco eagle 12 LSO with a dinette pullout. The roof had a pretty significant leak, so my husband took it off (yeah it was pretty gross) the wood was rotted, the styrofoam was soaked [it was so wet you could ring it out, (once we scraped it off of the tin roof)] It sits in two pieces in the garage. Incredibly poor design Sorry, I digress.... Needless to say I don’t have a roof, and I’m trying to measure for valences and privacy curtains. I have SOME of the valences, but not all (so I can’t measure them), and it didn’t come with any privacy curtains. Does anyone have a rough estimate of how many yards of fabric I might need? I realize it’s a big ask, but all of you are so knowledgeable I can’t think of a better place to ask for help on this project. Thanks for any help you can offer. Sorry for the long and winding post

2. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Hiya, I think I have this all sorted out so no need to respond.

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Glad you figured it out. Don't be shy about asking questions.

4. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Thanks so much! You guys are so sweet!

eoleson1 likes this.
  5. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

One thing we did on a past popup was to buy curtains at Dollar General of all places. My ex cut them down and re-himmed(?) Them. It was WAY cheaper that buying yards of fabric at the fabric store. Of course you're limited to colors and styles but we lucked out and found a color that worked.

6. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Save all the hardware and fittings. Also keep in mind the folding and unfolding aspect.

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

On my pup the factory bunk curtains have a mesh strip at the top part, with a panel on one side that you can roll up and secure with Velcro strips. Helps with bunk ventilation a little when the curtains are closed. However, in the 4-5 years of owning it I have never had the curtains closed except for a few times when I was having to work inside the camper during the day in the heat with no shade, and was trying to keep the cabin cooler by limiting airflow to the bunks.

Not sure if this is common on other brands, but mine has roll up curtains for the main windows with shock cord that is attached to the roof and bed rail, with a sliding tension clip. There is a thick piece of plastic in the bottom of the curtain to make it a little easier to roll/unroll. Roll it up to whatever height you want, and slide the tension lock up to hold it. I like it, although the fabric is a little thin. Eventually I will add blackout curtains or at least a little thicker fabric. On my to do list, just haven't gotten there yet.

Twinmum likes this.
  8. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

When I redone the curtains & valance in my previous p-up (Westlake) I bought pre-made black out style curtains from Walmart, hemmed them, then bought some contrasting fabric to make the valances. Buying the pre-made curtains saved me a step and looked nice too.

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I'm the oddball on this - I hate blackout curtains. As both my campers are hardsided, the windows are fairly standard sizes and easy to hang. I just used large cloth napkins for the windows in my FnR - attached the sliders to them and hung them.

For the clipper, I bought fabric and made new blinds for the three main windows and then used premade valances for the front window in the bunk. For the overcab bed side windows, I leave them blank. Love the morning light coming through. For the door window (round porthole) and the small windows at the side of the cab area, I used window film. The door one is yellow and cut out as a smiley face.

Pillow cases can work for blackout curtains as you can slide a dark fabric inside then tack it in at one edge.

Twinmum likes this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I know you said you had things all figured out, but wanted to let you know what I did for curtains. I actually just bought those black out curtains from Walmart. Only needed to hem them up a bit. On my old Jayco I found curtain tabs that slide on the track. That was honestly the hardest part as sowing through those tabs broke a dozen sowing needles but we got it done and looked great.

11. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Wow, like I said, the people in this forum are awesome! All amazing ideas! Thank you all!!! I’ll post some pictures when the project is complete! (Hopefully DH builds that dang roof!) Be well, stay safe!

gardenheather likes this.
  12. Doxiemom

Doxiemom New Member

What material do you use for curtains

13. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Hi Doxiemom, sorry took so long to get back to you! I haven’t really decided yet, but it’s between these: The top one for the cushions, and the striped ones for the curtains. Or.. upload_2020-5-31_0-22-34.png upload_2020-5-31_0-23-7.png
    The bottom one for the cushions and not sure about the curtains. The top two are cotton (not perfect but doable), and the bottom one is indoor/outdoor polyester (perfect), plus the background is a bit of a darker color, (good for 14 yo twin boys), but I can’t find a complementary pattern for the curtains. Thought I’d use a simple gray stripe ticking but it had no oomph. Thoughts?
    Oh btw, this website I am using for the fabric is fabulous! Literally thousands of choices (may be a negative since I can’t decide). The prices are great and customer service is terrific. Nighty night!

for upload_2020-5-31_0-22-34.png

upload_2020-5-31_0-23-7.png
    upload_2020-5-31_0-26-19.png

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  14. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Yes, good advice, I have saved as much as I could find, thanks!

15. Deb & Jacob C

Deb & Jacob C New Member

16. Deb & Jacob C

Deb & Jacob C New Member

I bought sheets to make our curtains and valance with for our pup. It worked out great.

17. gardenheather

gardenheather New Member

I bought these so that I could skip the hard plastic tabs that came with the trailer. Curtains are in progress and these should sew on very easily.

Attached Files:

18. popuppuppies

popuppuppies New Member

19. popuppuppies

popuppuppies New Member

Where did you purchase these ?

20. Twinmum

Twinmum Member

Ouuuh! That’s a great idea!!! Thanks.