camper lift with new axle

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by LittleBrother, May 23, 2019.

1. LittleBrother

LittleBrother New Member

Have a 1999 Jayco Hertiage Cascade. Tires are two seasons old and the inside edge of the tread is gone, so I went to the CAT scale and found out I was traveling overloaded. Camper has a Dexter 2500# axle with 3500# brake drum/hubs and load range C tires. I'm looking at replacing the axle with a 3500# version, reusing the existing 3500# brake drum/hubs, and upgrading to load range D tires.

Curious about thoughts and past experiences with this type of upgrade. Also, it is nearly impossible to get the tires on and off the camper without deflating them due to the space between the brake drum and wheel wells. The existing torsion axle has a start angle of 22.5-deg up. If I'm ordering a new axle can I change the start angle to make it easier to get the tires on and off? Or do I need to stick to the same specs and look at a 2 5/8" Dexter lift kit?

TIA

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

by "22.5 deg Start up" do you mean the wheel bearing is above the axle centerline under no load !?

3. LittleBrother

LittleBrother New Member

When I jack up the trailer, the torsion arm (and wheel bearing) sits at the same level the axle beam. When sitting normally with the trailer weight on the axle the bearing sits above the axle beam. This was the way Jayco designed it.