Camper Mooches??

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by cesperon, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

To me, it's hardly a matter of chivalry. Anyone who asks to borrow a camper, a large investment for many of us, is showing a lot of audacity, and it's hardly impolite to reply with a firm "no." In addition to any damage they might cause, there's the very real potential for an accident or mishap for which the lender could be held liable. Saying "no" is hardly unneighborly, but a very reasonable stance.

2. chrisc

chrisc New Member

i may borrow a tool but no one would ever ask to borrow more than that.im very nice person but i dont let any people borrow anything best way to be .i was raised if you need to borrow more than 1 time buy it .i dont know how people could even ask to borrow my pup that were my line is

3. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

I love the stories. [:)C]

I was asked a few times to borrow our pup but none of the people were really serious in their inquiries. They liked the idea of camping but to my knowledge, those that asked had either never been camping or hadn't been for years. Like many here, I didn't want to be a jerk but was simply not going to lend it. I'd ask, "Have you ever pulled a trailer?" All answered no. I countered that they need to get some towing experience before I'd loan the pup. I knew they never would.

I've just been burned too many times. Loaned chainsaws just to have them returned with a dull chain, loaned my powerwasher and got it back with a hole in the high pressure hose where they cut through it, you name it. And it's family that has returned my stuff broken.

Even though I don't list it as a benefit, one of the great things about our HTT is that none of our friends or family have a truck that could pull it. Plus they'd be too intimidated to try to pull it so they don't dare ask to borrow it.

One thing that does make me lol is my next-door neighbor's father. The father wants badly to buy a camper and is trying to decide if he wants a pup, HTT, or small TT. I've shown him all about repacking wheel bearings, what to look for when shopping, how 3-way fridges work, you name it. He has already purchased a Ford Expedition for a TV. He came over the other day and as he and I talked his daughter (my neighbor) stuck her head out her door and said, "Dadddd, what are you doing? We're leaving. We don't have time to visit." He said, "I came over to see John." lolol

4. civilute

civilute New Member

Luckily I do not have mooches next door. Just say no, saying anything else might be taken as a tease or as leading them on.

5. Woodzeke

Woodzeke New Member

There are some many things that can be broken by improperly setting up a pop up camper. Not leveling the camper properly and then turning on the fridge could cause a problem. Running the battery down below 11.9 volts, another problem. Not installing bunk end supports, cranking down the roof improperly on the tent material. Using the stabilizers as leveling devices. Lot of responsibility on setting a pop up correctly. If it was your investment and you were making the payments on it, you would make sure everthing was right. Too many things that can be torn up in seconds by not going through the proper procedure and time and trouble. I wonder if someone who borrowed pop up would treated your baby as you do?

6. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

hmm, there were definitely times I would have said you could have one of my teenage sons to go with it.

7. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

I used my brothers PUP once while he was keeping it at our folks. My parents had had one. (A Nimrod 70, now that was a behemoth) He went over all the processes. It was strictly a dry camper, water hose to the side, to the sink. No water heater, no refrigerator, etc.

then I got to borrow it almost all the time I wanted it. In fact overall we probably used it more than he ever did. Which annoyed him something fierce. Then again he kept it in my driveway so he couldn't complain all that much.

8. RatnDat

RatnDat New Member

No one's asked to borrow our pup (yet), but we've had a 13-foot utility trailer for years and as soon as word got out, boy did I become popular. No neighbors asked to use it, just many friends - and one of them screwed up the lighting wires for me so I ended up having to re-wire the whole thing. After a little heart to heart talk he apologized profusely and now treats it like it's his own when he uses it - and as a bonus, he sets me up with a big load of firewood in the fall! Since I hardly use it anymore I call that a pretty fair deal!

9. Liv

Liv New Member

You know, I knew a lady like that once. I said that maybe we could have dinner on Monday. Monday comes along and she shows up with no call. It was a very bad day and I had pj's on. She comes in anyway after I said I had a bad day. Then waited till I fed her and her 4 kids! Ugh. I was so stunned and learned my lesson. THANK Heavens, I didn't own our pup then!!
    Lov
    Liv

10. 1madscot

1madscot Member

I'd have made them PBJ's and sent them on their way...

11. flyweed

flyweed New Member

I too wouldn't loan out my PUP..I think PUP's are just too tempermental, and you really have to know the inner and outer workings of it to set it up and maintain it correctly.

With that said....maybe my neighborhood is just different than most....people here are ALL very friendly and generous. I borrow the occasional power tool from my next door neighbor, and he does the same from me....just up the block, I've borrowed a neihbors Garden Tiller before, when mine was in the repair shop. AND another neighbor saw me pull our new PUP home, and he came over to check it out..he has a travel trailer bunkhouse in his driveway.....he said "Why'd you buy a camper, you could just borrow ours whenever you'd like".

So maybe our area is out of the ordinary, but the borrowing around here happens all the time, and I think it's with the understanding that if you break it, you replace it..no questions asked.

Dan

12. mspontiac

mspontiac Member

What do you do when your spouse is a "sharing" kind of person and you are not?

I don't share my more valuable stuff. If a family member or good friend wants to borrow a book or pan or something like that, I would probably let them take it. Literally almost everything I have ever loaned out has not been returned though, so I am particular about who I give stuff to nowadays. And I can count the number of times I have borrowed items on one hand, and then it was most likely because it was offered to me.

Cars, pop-up, and even clothes are off limits for loaning, in my opinion. Especially to "entitled" neighbors! I can't believe they would even ask. [:(!] My husband, however, is the kind of person who will share anything with his family. His truck, the camper, anything. His attitude is, "It's my family. Even if it gets damaged, it's the right thing to do because they would do the same for me." I know how careless his dad is with things and I also know he wouldn't hesitate to borrow the truck, and I just cringe when I hear hubby say he would loan the truck to his dad.

He thinks that if family or friends want to come camping, then they should be allowed to sleep in the camper with us and it's rude to expect them to stay in a tent, even if we provide a very nice large tent and all the gear (we used to be tent campers) because we have air conditioning and heat in the pup. Conversely, I don't want others in the camper with us because I feel like I have other people sleeping in my bedroom with me. And, my husband sleeps on one bunk and me on the other because he snores so loudly, so that would require me sleeping in his bunk and being kept awake all night as well. There have been more arguments between us because of inviting family and friends to come camping and where they will sleep, it makes my head spin.

Anyway, I am a no-loaner kind of person...!!

13. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

I just tell them that the camper needs $$$$ in repairs before it would be safe to loan out and if they would help out on the cost they could use it for a couple of nights will do away with 95% of them. Asking the other 5% to sign an agreement to pay for all cost of repairs for any damage done while they are using it will scare them off. Better yet require them pay a non refundable cash deposit for the full retail price of pup will get rid of all of them.

14. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

A buddy of mine, a mechanic, used to get sore when pwople wanted to borrow his tools. He needed them to make a living, and didn't want to have to chase them down. He used to say that instead of loaning a tool, he'd rather slap them and hand them a dollar. It would cost him less, and he'd get to slap a moocher.

He also started charging $80 an hour with a one hour minimim when "friends" stopped by his house to ask him if he could "take a look at something on their car for just a minute."

I don't blame him. I often get invited to lunch by people that need my particular expertise in publishing. They say they want to "pick my brain about something". I tell them that I'll charge them for the time, and that if they agree, I'll buy the lunch.

My PUP won't be loaned either. (There is one guy in my camping club that did many of the same mods on an identical PUP, and did a neater job than I do. Now I'd almost PAY him to use my pup for a while.)

15. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

My Neighbour has a small home made utility trailer, and he has let me borrow it on many occasions, as he said I can take it whenever I need it. In return, I've bought him many beers, helped him re-shingle his house, and when i noticed his lights were screwed up, I re-wired his trailer.

as for my stuff, I don't mind lending out my pup to family, neighbours, and a very select few of my closest friends, but I make sure they know and understand how to set it up, and that if something happens to it in their possession that they must pay to fix it. "you break it, you fix it!"

when it comes to my car, I don't mind giving friends rides for a little gas money,."Ass, Gas or Grass. Nobody rides for free!".... but I only lend it out to my immediate family.

16. Camper_Dave

Camper_Dave New Member

I don't think I could lend out our PUP. It's like part of the family and I'd hate something bad happening to it.

17. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Sure hope you are getting gas or grass. [:D]

We lent out our old pup years ago. Once to immediate family, and once to a co-worker/friend. No issues with either time and they returned the pup cleaner than when they took it along with some beer.

Doubt we would lend our current pup to anyone right now except for immediate family, but not just any of them. There is only a couple of them I would trust in the opening/closing/operating of the pup. The others, I would hand them our tent and say have fun.

18. mhc77

mhc77 New Member

lol too funny. my brother in law has been hinting at borrowing the PUP and i always laugh it off. he'll say stuff like "yeah the girls (his daughters) said we should just borrow your PUP next time." i lol and say, "omg could you IMAGINE?! I don't think i could ever lend out Ratherbe!"

...and then we tell him that he is always more than welcome to continue to borrow our tent, sleeping bags, coolers, etc. Pretty sure he thinks i'm a b*^&ch but don't really care! :)

19. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I've had that issue with my DH too. I used to be much more generous than I am now but I've just had too many years of people taking advantage. And loaning expensive "toys" is not in the picture.

I remember years ago, my DH happened to be at home working. A couple of "my friends" saw his car and decided to just stop by, uninvited, wearing swimming suits with towels in hand and asked him if they could spend the afternoon in our swimming pool. He said okay. I happened to call home and heard the splashing and laughter coming from my backyard, while I was slaving away at the office helping to earn the money for the 2nd mortgage that we got to put in the pool. That did not go over so good with me.

20. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Guess I've been fortunate. No one's asked me to borrow the PUP. Among family, friends, and neighbors, they either don't go camping or already have their own camper. There's only a select few that I'd consider, maybe 5. All are close family or friends I've known for 30 years or more. Some have TTs of their own so towing isn't an issue. All would have to agree that if they break it, they fix it or bought it.