Camper rental, not sure where to post this.

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by 96Rockwood, Dec 26, 2009.

1. 96Rockwood

96Rockwood Member

So I haven't posted on here in a while due to moving from a PUP to a motorhome. Well we still have a motorhome, but I purchased a PUP from someone who needed cash fast. I picked up a 1995 Coachmen Clipper 220 for $150 bucks. It needs new side boards in the roof. Anyhow I was going to fix and flip it, but after consideration I have decided to keep it and rent it out as a side business and depending how this goes maybe get a couple more. I am looking for some input from people who have rented before or are currently owners of PUP's that rent them on as to info on what I need to know and do.

Thanks for the input, and if this is the wrong forum area I am sorry.

2. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

I guess there is an entire list of things to consider and hopefully folks will give you some things to make up your list. One thing that should be on your list is liability. You may wish to find out just what are you liable for. For example, if someone rents from you and is injured inside the popup, do you have any liability? If they back the popup into someone’s car, would you be on the hook in any way? I know it would seem that you should not be, but liability is strange thing in some ways. I sure you will need to draft all types of documents and disclaimers. You will need specifications for the type of towing equipment required to be safe, instructions for safe set up, instructions for road side assistance if needed, etc.

I am sure there are many more things to go on your list of considerations, but this is my contribution.

3. RayT38

RayT38 It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission

I hate to be negative but think of how hard people are on rental cars. Then read the boards on SPUT's. I think that you would spend half your time fixing what the renters broke. It is a fantastic idea, and a good way to make some money, but you would have to screen your renters VERY carefully.

4. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

run a search on your computer and you will find a bunch of info.....i typed in....how to start an rv rental business........good luck..reminds me about a guy about 15 years ago that bought a used air stream, refurbished and resold, didnt make a lot of money on this one. He then got the idea of buying old airstreams and renting them out as lodging on his farm. He hd about 10 if I remember correctly.
    Good luck. You might consider renting a pop up from a dealer and make note of what yu have to go thru.

And yes rental cars sometime take a beating, but thats what the deposit is for and insurance. Might work, might not....you wont know unless you try. Good luck. Hope your venture becomes a household name.

5. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

The liability issue is a big one. Who has the deep pockets is always the telling factor. It is very expensive if you are named in a law suit, even if it is later dismissed against you. I was once named in a business law suit against a client of mine and it took almost four years for me to get dismissed from the case and several thousand dollars in legal fees.

For what you would get in renting one PUP, I would not risk it.

6. 96Rockwood

96Rockwood Member

Ok, I have figured out some of the insurance stuff. I also have a copy of a rental contract. Basically in the rental contract, the renter is assuming all responsibility and they are signing off on it. So if they back it into somebody they are responsible, if they fall inside of it and get hurt it is on them. I will basically "crib" if you will the rental contract from a major renter in the area, and have my attorney review. Also to note the renter is responsible for the insurance on it while on the road as well. So I do have a screening process to review renters before they rent. I am going to try this, I have a line on a second PUP for cheap as well. My wife and I are looking for something she can do from home since she will be a stay at home mom. I know I will handle all the maintance and whatnot, but I like that stuff anyhome.

7. BiXLL

BiXLL Chippewa Twp., Pa.

I don't know any details, but a guy around me started doing this same thing with 2 old pups at the beggining of the season last year. By the end of the season he had 8 almost new units that were all rented every weekend!

8. Csea

Csea New Member

make sure to have an agreement (cover your butt from a lawsuit basically) thats all i can think of at 7am.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

here are a couple of important
    documents
    you may find intreresting.

I do know that any of the rental places I have contacted in the past have also stated no pets, no smoking. and a few have also had a no cooking inside clause as well. The one place supplied you with a coleman 2 burner stove, adaptors and a 20 lbs tank.

This does sound like an interesting venture, it is something I thought of, but my area is saturated with various rental places. Good Luck to you, hope to see your rental banner displayed on the site one day.

10. 96Rockwood

96Rockwood Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I have yet to have my attorney review my contract. Basically I am concerned over liability.

11. 96Rockwood

96Rockwood Member

So moving forward with this idea. I am setting up an Limited Liability Company (L.L.C.), on the advise of my attorney. What this does is remove any liablities from me personally to that of the LLC. Basically if there is an issue all the party trying to sue is can go after the LLC, nothing personaly owned by me, only the LLC. So if something happens I am out basically the business, which isn't a bad thing as far as I am concerned.

So now I need to come up with a name for said business, (something)L.L.C., any ideas?

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Glad too hear your going forward with this, I hope everything works out for you.

In light of another topic how about Pup Up Camping LLC , or PUC LLC. [LOL]

I am sure between you and the 20,000 or so members here a name cane be found.

13. BiXLL

BiXLL Chippewa Twp., Pa.

I don't have a suggestion for a name, but I do suggest you don't limit yourself to pop ups with the name. The guy by me is doing so well, he now has 2 hybrids sitting in the lot as well as the pop ups.

14. 96Rockwood

96Rockwood Member

No the plan is to not limit the name to PUP's as if it takes off, having small trailers for rent as well.

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Cheery Camping Rentals : basic, not too fancy and certainly doesn't limit ones fleet.

16. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

How about

Rent a Camper
    If i was going to rent a camper I would search with.....where to rent a camper ...on google....

Good luck no matter what you name it.....I think its a good idea...

17. 96Rockwood

96Rockwood Member

Well after looking more at what is involved, especially with the set of of an LLC we are just giong to forget this idea. We like to camp to much, and well, the time commitment invovled to rent it out just isn't going to work for us. We have some friends that we were going to loan it to for 4th of July week, since they are going camping with us. After that I don't know if we are going to sell it or keep it, and let friends us it, not sure yet. But all said and done after adding up all the bills, purchase price, roof materials, tires (got a smoking deal and brand new GY marathons $56 each) and title and plates, I have a grand total of less than $465 into this thing. So not only do I have the knowledge of rebuilding a PUP roof, I can make a profit on it, or keep it around for friends to use. Not sure what we are going to do here.

18. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

96Rockwood, I think you made the right choice. I wish I had the room and money to have a second camper around. I know I would invite friends (who could tow it) to go camping with us. It would be nice to go camping but at the same time have separate places.

On the other hand, did you enjoy fixing up the PUP? With what you put into it, you could make a hobby out of purchasing older models in need of TLC, fix them up and sell them. You can do it in your spare time and use the profit from this one to purchase the next, and on, and on. Of course, if you didn't enjoy doing the work, keep it and let friends use it (you could ask for compensation for wear and tear).

19. eagle9252

eagle9252 New Member

I know you have decided not to do it but thought I would add a couple of things on the insurance aspects.
    I rented a full size toy hauler RV a couple of years ago and they required me to purchase insurance for it. I rented only for a week and they wanted over $300.00 and it only cover their trailer. I called my auto insurance and it was less than half for the year and it cover the trailer and all my stuff. I got the policy and canceled it a week later, as they suggested due to them not writing weekly policies. It cost me around $12.00.

I thought I would explain the reasons for the extra insurance for those that don’t understand them. First off if you have a claim it’s a big “it’s not us (auto insurance) call the home owner insurance, are you confused yet? The reason is, if you have it connected to TV your auto insurance covers the exterior of PU only and the inside is covered by the home owner insurance. If you have it parked in your yard, it is covered by your home owners insurance inside and out. Just like your TV your auto insurance only covers your TV nothing inside and your home owners insurance covers only the inside stuff.

I know someone who was moving and while he was loading his car he took a dinner break and when he came back out with another load someone had stolen his stereo and cd and dvd collection. After filling a police report he called his auto insurance and they said to call his homeowners and guess what; he was a renter with NO renters insurance. He lost everything!!
    Confused yet… ?

Well here goes, when you set up your PU and unhook your TV and you are on someone else’s property (not yours). You have also unhooked your insurance. Your PU is now uninsured against accidents and theft.

I have an enclosed trailer that I use for storing and transporting of Boy Scout camping gear. [{:)] [CP] It’ a single axel 12’ long V-nose with a rear ramp and side door. I have the trailer insured for $3000.00 and the contents insured for $4500.00 and it only cost about $65.00 a year. So for $65.00 a year I don’t have to worry about anything and it’s covered 100% of the time with no confusion.