Camper Stolen

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by carlabehrens, Sep 4, 2013.

1. carlabehrens

carlabehrens New Member

We are having a really hard time. We had a 1985 Coleman Newport that we have had for about 17 years. It was in good shape and we have had many years of travel and weekend camping in it. We live in a Mobile Home Park where they provide an area for residents to park campers, boats, trailers etc. It is store at your own risk but we've kept that and a motorcycle trailer there for years with no problems. Unfortunately we have not been able to go camping this year. My husband checked on the Camper beginning of July. Mid august our son went to get the motorcycle trailer and our camper was gone. Talked to the Manager and he said he did an inventory in the storage area about mid July and it was not there. I don't believe at this point we will ever see it again and doubt if it probably even "exists" as a camper anymore. Our thoughts are that someone stole it for parts or to make something out of it. We had the hitch locked, the top padlocked and of course the door locked. So many other items in the same storage area with no hitch locks. Just don't get it. On top of that it had all our 26 years of accumulated camping gear in it which included a really nice tent and some vintage Coleman items. We are really hoping to get another Coleman popup but worry that although the camper worked great for us and was in good condition that its actual value and what we will get from insurance will not be near enough to get us another camper. Sure never guessed this would happen.....

1st Camper: Old pop up from the 70s.(Borrowed from Grandma and lovingly fixed up. Fell in love with camping)
    2nd Camper: 1985 Coleman Jamestown (Only one pull out bunk. loved our unique little camper)
    3rd Camper:1985 Coleman Newport (RIP 1996-2013)

2. saratogaowner

saratogaowner New Member

That is just terrible I am sorry to hear of your loss I hope it is recovered with minimal damage [:(]

3. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

SO very sorry!!! [:!] Hate to ask the obvious, but did you do a police report?? Pups have VIN numbers, so you never know. The people who stole it might be idiots and NOT know that. You MIGHT see it popped up somewhere as you're driving around town....never say never!!

Do you have any photos of it open and closed? I'd actually post them here on the portal. If there was ever a chance of 1 in 34K+, that one of the portal members might spot it, it's worth posting a few pics.

Again, SO sorry for your loss. [V]

[:D]

4. bropaul

bropaul New Member

I hope you made a police report, even if you don't know the exact date it was taken. Do you have the registration or paper work with the VIN number? (I never leave ours in the pup.) Sometimes these are found, usually it's kids looking for a place to party or hunters. I am saddened by your loss. I would suggest watching eBay, craigslist, etc. for those vintage items. You never know, maybe you can track some things down on your own. If you have any pictures, try posting a couple here on the Portal. If there was anything distinctive about your camper include that information with the pictures. We have thousands of members with eyes!

Diane

5. Heartonasleeve

Heartonasleeve No meal invite, u tore my screen 1st pup outing!

Do the police report, dig thru everything see if you a vin, share pics online as stolen via Craigslist, share with your local surrounding parks...even a hard copy printout for a bolo in hand at the parks would be eyecatcher. And not sure about your area, but scrap yards if that is where it landed must keep records, as well ad who brought it in...As well as pawn shops if any items inside were maintained for records too.

Sorry to hear you had to deal with a thief, but make a loud noise publicly regardless if you don't know the exact date of the...bet anything it's within an earshot of your residence.

6. Heartonasleeve

Heartonasleeve No meal invite, u tore my screen 1st pup outing!

Wait, I just retread your theft post..they maintain records for storage...so who all has what is stored back there is limited to your residents. That is a bold theft, not a first timer, and it is someone that is familiar with circumstances, another resident, previous, or family of resident.
    Easy access to see pattern behavior for law enforcement, think it could not only turn up but the thief should be held accountable.

7. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Sorry to hear about this. Not only does it make me sad but also angry. I hope all is recovered and those dirt bags who took your property get justice. Do not give up.

8. 4Powells

4Powells New Member

[:(]

9. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

Sometimes, people suck. I'm so sorry to hear your camper has been kidnapped.

Priscilla

2013 Flagstaff 228D and DH's 2004 Nissan Titan

10. craftygranny

craftygranny Member

Keep an eye out on Craigslist as there are a lot for sale without titles. We just saw a 99 Jayco in excellent shape the other day for $2,500 without title. Also if a person takes their PUP to another state and files for lost title, or home made, they can get a title and by the time it is figured out it can be sold.

11. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Sorry to hear about that. Really is too bad that people have to take what isn't there's. And after all these years of having no troubles. I agree with the other poster. Sounds like maybe someone that knew how to get it out of there without it seeming like they were doing anything wrong.

12. George Rose

George Rose Member

Everything about this screams inside job.By "inside", I mean that someone knew what you had there and had some help. I agree with everyone else, the more pictures and information you can circulate the better the chance of getting it back. That really is a shame. [:!]

13. carlabehrens

carlabehrens New Member

14. carlabehrens

carlabehrens New Member

15. clickwhirr

clickwhirr New Member

Re: Please keep an eye out for our stolen camper

Really sorry to hear this. [:(] Good luck!

16. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Bummer.

17. saratogaowner

saratogaowner New Member

just shared this on facebook

18. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

Very sorry to hear this.

19. MIlover

MIlover Member

This is so sad, and pathetic on the part of the thieves. I'm really sorry you have to deal with this, and will hope for the best. Have you considered posting an ad on Craig's List or in your local/regional paper, explaining the story and posting a photo? I think this sort of story would make a lot of people mad, and be on the lookout for you - even if just to track down the culprits. Facebook is a great start though. Good luck.

20. vanjr

vanjr New Member

I agree with Mr. Rose. Looks suspiciously like an inside job of some type. Not sure you can do anything else. I would not use that facility again for anything.