Camper stove

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by firepit, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark New Member

I have used it several times. Especially when I am boondocking. Saves going getting takeout sometimes.

2. Old School Rob

Old School Rob New Member

We only use ours, for the first pot of coffee, in the morning.

3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

BBQdave, Rik Peery and firepit like this.
  4. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I am surprised how many use their stoves inside.
    There is just something about cooking meals outside that appeals to me.
    KIMG0049.jpg KIMG0070.jpg

5. MikeRegas

MikeRegas New Member

For the most part, we cook and eat outside. Although if the weather isn't great we will cook something simple inside, we have a 3 burner stove that is nice to cook on in the PUP and if it is cool having a burning go for a few minutes really does warm it up. For coffee we use an MSR Windburner (https://www.amazon.com/MSR-WindBurn...ds=msr&qid=1585765571&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-4) to heat the water and make pour-over style coffee, fuel isn't the cheapest but it is faster than the burners for sure. For meals when we cook outside we have to propane style stoves we have and large CampChef two burner (https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-2-...ef+2+yukon+burner+stove&qid=1585765938&sr=8-8) if we are camping with a group it uses a 20lb tank and we have a small Camp Chef 2 burner (https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Ev...w.w&hsa_cr_id=5500424110601&ref_=sb_s_sparkle) that runs on the large tank or the smaller 1lb bottles. If there is electricity we will also use an Instapot, electric griddle or hotplate, just really depends on the level of effort we want in the meal. They are all the same amount of work except for the Large CampChef stove it is more work to get set up than the others.

Last thing we lug along is a MiniMax by Big Green Egg. It is fun to cook, smoke and bake on while at camp. It is a pain to move, but really worth it.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  6. SpaceGuy85

SpaceGuy85 New Member

We used ours all the time. Did not really like having only 2 burners, but, it always worked very well. I would never remove it, even though we also have the outdoor grill that we could use. Some folks are also remove the shower / toliet combo, but, we love using ours, and would not ever think of changing anything.

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

If I had more room in mine, I would cook inside for small stuff, or when the weather was bad. However, since my icemaker sits on the counter where the stove would go I really don't have the room, so my cooking goes outside. In a pinch I can move a stove inside, and relocate the icemaker, but it is not an ideal solution. Can't wait for a hybrid to give me a little more room to work with. I do enjoy cooking outside though, and it is my preferred method (no campfires though) but once it gets hot in TX it gets really brutal cooking in the heat like that. It would be nice to cook in the A/C every once in a while. I also go back and forth between extended trips that have large kitchen needs, to short weekends when I have to keep things a little smaller.

8. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

9. DJNC

DJNC New Member

I have a 99 Coleman Santee and a removable inside outside two burner top. We have used it inside and out. I rely on a Coleman Roadtrip mostly but we keep this one and a 20 lb gas tank too. Making hot water for dishes or hot chocolate or making coffee in the coffee pot is just convenient inside. We have heated up a few other things as well. Mindful of what and how much cooking but, no problems. I would be comfortable to use it for a trip weekend anytime. Think I would use it more outdoors for longer though. Or if we just wanted extra counter space inside with the insert top. Happy camping!

10. southern gal

southern gal Member

We have used it once. I don't like using it inside as it is so crowded. My DH cooks outside on the stove that attaches to the side of the camper. We also cook on the campground grill a good bit. I have a Keurig for my camper that our girls got me a couple of years ago at Christmas so we can get started right off the bat with coffee. We also have an instant start one burner stove that we use sometimes. We like cooking and eating outside.

11. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

I wanted a stove inside. Summer near Lake Ontario can mean lake enhanced rain, along with a steady morning and evening lake breeze. Cooking outside has been rained out a few times for us, and we do not want to risk damaging our screen room cooking inside it.

12. brdeel

brdeel Member

My pup came with indoor and outdoor mountable stoves. I use the outdoor one most of the time, but use the indoor one when it's raining or really windy (which often occur together in CO). With our winds, the outdoor flame often has a tough time staying lit.

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@bedeel - coping with cooking in the wind can be interesting, and those of us camping in some regions just have to cope more often than other locations. We had a couple of wind-stable rain/shade covers for the picnic table over the years, but the rain/wind combination could mean getting wet anyway.
    Before we got our first popup, I was temped to make a tablecloth with hold down straps for some of my supplies. The good news about the white gas Coleman stove we have is that they do have a wind shield, but even with that, the wind can be too much. Crouching behind a wind break of some sort - large rock, ponderosa trunk used a site edging, etc. got old quickly. Having an inside stove is a vast improvement over resorting to granola bars or other easy to grab non-heated food because it's too windy to use the stove.
    Even in the popups, we had to adjust open windows so the stove behaved. In our TT, the stove is right next to the door, which is great most of the time. I can leave the door open unless the sun is beating in (we solve that by hanging a curtain) or is blowing into the door, when I have to shut it.

14. Ron&Chris

Ron&Chris New Member

We have often used the 3 burner stove inside especially for breakfast. We love the smell of fresh coffee in AM. Also nice cold mornings. We have a high efficiency 2 burner propane (canister) stove we have used inside and out.

15. Miamama1

Miamama1 New Member

We used to have an old Coleman with a swing-out stove.
    Used it ALL the time - loved it.

I recently purchased a 2003 Jayco that has a stove that can be used inside or attached to outside of camper.
    I don't use it.

I prefer the single burner portable stoves to use on the picnic table and we bring our canopy.
    I have 2 of them and they suit us fine -- love them!

16. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

No inside grub cooking for us other than to boil water...those easy ups w/ an attachable wall are spot on, we have one & love it...I dang nigh busted my nose trying to face plant the food on Firepit's pics lol, looks daggone good...

17. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

I don't have any objections to a microwave myself, but we often heat baby stuff by sitting the container in hot water for a few minutes.

18. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I pre make breakfast burritos and microwave them sometimes.
    I prefer to warm them on the fire though.

19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I hate to say, i use my microwave for pop corn only at home. But in the TT i do the oposite. I cook the pop corn over the fire and cook in the microwave. I do cook outside a lot, but on the disney trip, it was like 18 nights , i froze a ton of easy meals and zap, done. Made for an easy dinner, especially when we were exhausted from doing the amusment parks or driving all day and hitting a campground just for a night. So there is a usefulness in all things, it just depends on what you are going for.

firepit and Rik Peery like this.
  20. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a small microwave as well. It does double duty - it makes a great nightstand for my bunk, as there is a small cabinet right there on the corner by the door, and we use it to reheat leftovers. I also found refried beans and microwave rice that work great for those larger texmex meals - I despise cleaning refries out of pots so this solves a problem for me.

Sjm9911, Rik Peery and firepit like this.