Camper stove

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by firepit, Mar 23, 2020.

1. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I am not above using technology myself...But i try to avoid it when possible.
    A microwave is handy when the beer munchies set in.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. firepit

Great minds think alike...My microwave sits up just high enough for my glasses..Flash light
    Bottled water and spit cup.

3. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

We use a small coffee pot to heat water for cocoa, oatmeal ect. We have a separate coffee maker for the dh for his morning cup of coffee, because if he doesn't get it he is a crabby patty!!

4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Can't imagine damaging it. Have a freestanding that I've cooked in for decades and now the one that attaches to the PUP for a couple years with no damage. Just don't put the stove close enough the heat to damage it.

5. harppu

harppu New Member

Same here. I almost always cook food outside because I'm worried grease or the smell of what I'm cooking would get into the canvas. I have boiled water for coffee or tea a couple of times on a cold, rainy morning but usually have the burners pulled out and attached outside under the awning.

Tronicus likes this.
  6. firepit

pit boss in action
    20190824_175247.jpg

Rik Peery likes this.
  7. Toni Arnold

Toni Arnold Member

I never cook inside, just don't want the food smells, I only heat water for coffee. I have a Coleman 2 burner stove and a little Weber grill for outside. If it gets too windy, I always pack stuff to make sandwiches.

8. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Same here with the grills. My Weber grill is a little Smoking Joe portable charcoal grill. Can't beat it!

Camping one year, we had a hurricane push inland. Which means all day heavy rain, not much wind. Had the portable shade awning up and camp kitchen was open :)

Camp cook here :) I like to smoke meat (an hour or two) in the Smokin' Joe and then transfer to dutch oven with a little wine (or your favorite fruit juice) and water and spices. Spices can be a rub, already applied during smoking too. Let that cook down and fat render in the Dutch Oven. Best shredded beef (chicken, turkey, pork) you'll ever have :)

9. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

And when is Dave going to come up and cook n camp with us? [CK][8D][CK][Guitar]:D[:D][CK][Guitar] Life is to short without good food, brews and friends!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    BBQdave likes this.
  10. Jonny B

Jonny B New Member

I used two carribeners to hang a box fan at the upper portion of the door. With the door's window open, the fan pulls all the odors, heat, vapors, smoke, etc out of the camper while we cooked. Of course, our pup was a 78 coleman and we didnt really care to keep it pristine any longer. We now have a coleman travel trailer and the fan built into the hood is less effective than the method used in our old pup. I dont think it's safe to use the stove in a pop without mechanically assisted ventilation. Outside is always a safe bet.

11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

?

FARfetched likes this.
  12. DustyMojave

DustyMojave New Member

I have to agree:
    What do you mean JonnyB?
    Why would it NOT be safe to cook inside a popup?

We like to cook outdoors. We cook outdoors at home quite often. We live in the desert and cook outdoors even if there's frost on the ground or rain or even snow (yes it snows in the California desert!). And when we camp, we CAMP, not GLAMP...almost ALWAYS boondocking, rarely at a campground, even more rarely with hookups. Much of our camping is at offroad races in the desert. For those, we set up at our main pit with a thousand other motor homes, travel trailers, pop-ups, tents, people camping in the beds or cabs of pickups or in the backs of SUVs and cars, or we go off to a remote pit location and still setup the same.

Yet we use our stove inside the 1996 Jayco 1006 EVERY trip. I don't do coffee (NASTY tasting and smelling stuff![XX(]), but hot tea or cocoa is nice on a chilly morning. Kettle of water for washing dishes and cleanup and personal washing/cowboy bathing. We cook most anything that we would cook on the stove at home. We sometimes take the stove to the outdoor hookup on the side under the awning (reminds me that I need to repair a broken tip on one of the awning poles from last outing). We carry a Weber charcoal BBQ. We tent or cruder camped for decades and have all the stuff for that, white gas stoves and lanterns, propane stoves and lanterns, etc., have a couple of cast iron dutch ovens for campfire cooking. But still, we cook inside the trailer EVERY time out. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. [CK] From breakfast burritos to spaghetti to fresh caught Sierra trout, to beef and dumplings (real dumplings...NOT noodles) to grilled ham and cheese sandwiches to fajitas...As for cooking outdoors, I can open all the windows to screens and have the wide open outdoors inside the trailer where I'm cooking. Not like a hard side travel trailer or motor home. Ventilation does NOT require power. The western deserts and mountains have plenty of natural green energy breezes and winds. It's rarely calm around here.

I don't know what some of you folks are cooking that leaves objectionable smells or greasy windows and surfaces, but that's NOT a problem for us.

If I weren't going to use the stove, sink and portable toilet in the popup, we could and can and DO just spread sleeping bags in the back of our Durango and use our 2-burner Coleman gas or propane stove and mother nature's out houses (creosote bushes).

Bottom line for me is if you're gonna drag around a trailer it may as well get used. Otherwise, what's the point of the expense and effort?

BillyMc likes this.
  13. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Mine gets used, it's a tent in a box on wheels. A place to sleep.

14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

On some of the TTs ( i think all or it would rip off on transit) you have to manually unlock the fan exhaust on the outside of the camper. Some have a latch, mine has to be pulled open. No one told me that......lol.

15. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

I think in the 10 or so years, we've had our PUP, I've warmed up a can of soup or Spagettio's a couple times when I was by myself and it was raining and cold.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  16. Ironmonger

Ironmonger Member

Normally use the inside stove only for making coffee, but outside stove failed me on most recent trip and had to resort to cooking inside. Not sure what happened, but so far as I can tell, the LP connection won't allow gas to flow.

17. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

We cook most meals outside on our Skottle, which is sort of like a wok with a propane stove under it. But we do use the stove too on every trip. We heat up water on the stove to make coffee and we often cook pancakes or eggs inside on the stove. When we camp in the winter, we will often cook soup at home and freeze it and heat it on the stove in the camper.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of getting a skottle. Looked to be a pretty cool thing to use. However, I have too much cooking gear as it is, so I am not sure I can justify the expense for yet another outdoor cooking implement like that!

19. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

My wife had bought a skottle for me for Christmas the year before we bought our camper. We had no idea that we would even ever buy a camper. One of our neighbors put their popup for sale on day and my wife asked me to go look at it. So it worked out good that we got the skottle. They are definitely not cheap but we have used the heck out of it.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ouch , those things are pricy!