Camper stove

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by firepit, Mar 23, 2020.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

2. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Shot of tequila when you open your eyes will wake you up enough to make it outside to the cooler to enjoy a beer breakfast as you wait for the wife to wake up & make you an egg samich...[8D]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Yes, they are very proud of them and charge a pretty penny. My wife bought it for me because she said she knew I would never buy it for myself. We go on a camping trip every month and we use it for almost every meal on every trip.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

So that is what they do with all the worn out harrow disc. I'll have to visit a couple of farms here and see what I can find on the scrap pile. Looks interesting.

eoleson1 and Jeep Guy like this.
  5. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

That's what the Skottle reminded me of too :)

I remember disc grills, researching old articles on farmers turning implement discs into grills :)

6. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

These new skottles are obviously not harrow discs, but that really is exactly what a skottle is. In south Africa, the farmers would clean up a disc and use them to cook for workers out in the fields. That is the origins of the skottle.

From the Tembo Tusk Skottle web site:
    The history of the Skottle comes from a South African farmer finding a secondary use for old harrow discs by turning them into an outdoor cooking utensil that could be used while out in the fields. The Skottle caught on with the public in the 1940s and 50s and is now synonymous with grilling in South Africa. Anything that can be cooked in a pan, skillet or on a grill can be cooked in a Skottle. Bacon, eggs, sausage and hash browns are a great example for breakfast. Lunch or dinner can be as easy as stir fry veggies, steak, and chopped potatoes. There is no better way to cook Boerewors Sausage (South African Farmer’s Sausage) or any other sausage for that matter. Nothing tastes better than a thick cheese Quesadilla grilled on a Skottle. You can cook hamburgers and fajitas as well with ease. As you can see, there is very little you can’t cook on a Skottle!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  7. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Well-Known Member

That is really cool looking!!

Jeep Guy likes this.
  8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Look up discada. Still need to get a proper burner to go with the disc though.

Jeep Guy likes this.
  9. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Anybody attach a wood cutting board to a folding camp table for your Coleman green stove?

On occasion I forget my wood cutting board, that the green stove sets on, and have to work off of a wood picnic table or stump. My camp table is part of my camp kitchen, I like the set up with the stove on the wood cutting board - on the camp table.

Right now, the wood cutting board is easy to clean, but does sometimes move on the table with the green stove moving with it.

Your thoughts on attaching wood cutting board to camp table or other solutions are appreciated :)

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have the table thats half plastic half metel for a kitchen set up.

11. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

I like the wood cutting board under the camp stove, doesn't get hot and protects the table.

I was thinking of attaching it, because it sometimes slides a little, and sometimes I forget to bring it :)

12. James Rucker

James Rucker Active Member

I simply don't like the heat or open flame inside especially.