camper top rails

Discussion in 'Mystery Parts' started by cokoliso, Aug 17, 2020.

1. cokoliso

cokoliso Member

Do the black rails on top of my popup serve any useful purpose? Does anyone use them for tying down cargo or something? I'm thinking I need to remove them and seal the screw holes, because this just looks like about 30 places for leaks to occur. Comments?

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like part of a bike rack or something. Got pictures?

3. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

If it's a Coleman/Fleetwood, you can get parts from Yakima to create a rack. Expensive if you are starting from scratch though.

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

No one can possibly answer your question when haven't provided any information at all as to the make / model / year of camper you have.:rolleyes:

5. cokoliso

cokoliso Member

Here are photos. Sorry - it's a 2004 Fleetwood Utah. I thought that info showed up with my post. These 2 rails have a dozen attachment screws, and I think I'll just remove them and run Eternabond tape down the holes. Unless they're structural? Thanks all.

20200818_123236.jpg 20200818_123248.jpg

6. GreyFox

So you have an AlumiTite a.k.a. AlumiLeak roof. :( Fleetwood never did solve the problem of so many of these roofs leaking, especially under those 2 Rack Tracks where the 3 sections of aluminum skin seam together. Leaking also via the screw holes was another problem - Fleetwood ultimately instructed their dealers to use adhesive instead of screws to secure the tracks to the roof. The third issue was corrosion caused by a chemical reaction between the aluminum and steel screws. [:(!]

If this were my Fleetwood I'd remove the Rack Tracks, clean up the seams, seal any holes with Dicor self leveling caulk, and once cured run a layer of Eternabond tape over each seam. It won't look pretty but that's about the best you can do to prevent water from getting inside the roof. You'd also want to address the 4 short seams under the 4 corners of the roof, normally hidden by the roof end caps. Good luck! :)

jmkay1 likes this.
  7. cokoliso

cokoliso Member

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking I would remove the rails and run eternabond tape over those places as you suggest, and then along the trim on the end caps (bridging the trim to the roof). I don't understand about the 4 short seams, though.

8. GreyFox

The aluminum skin folds over the sides and ends of the roof so at each corner, under the end cap, there would be a seam where the aluminum meets - those seams obviously have to be sealed completely or water will make it's way into the interior of the roof.

9. cokoliso

cokoliso Member

OK, how about I apply the 2 inch eternabond tape over the trim so that it covers both the roof joint as well as the end cap joint, similar to the 2 inch masking tape in this photo?
    20200819_074829_Burst01.jpg

10. GreyFox

The greatest issue for me in using Eternabond tape on a popup is the roof can be seen so I'd be concerned about how it looks - not an issue with a travel trailer where the roof can't be seen. The Eternabond website offers useful information on how to best use their products.

Joey Timms likes this.
  11. cokoliso

cokoliso Member

Thanks for your advice about this. You're right. Nobody wants their popup to look like they duct taped it together. However, with that said, I think the white eternabond tape across the end cap trim will more or less look like a wider version of the trim that's already on the camper. The 2 strips running lengthwise where the rails used to be will just look like more trim covering a seam. Plus, when a popup is 16 years old, maybe you're doing good just to keep it functional and appearance is secondary. And finally, the popup has had a good run as a family camper and we're too old to keep it up. So we'll fix it up as neatly as possible, and sell it to some hunter who wants an inexpensive but water-tight and comfortable camper. Or maybe next spring some family will be glad to get such a camper and the etrnabond will give them years of leak-free camping with their kids.

Joey Timms likes this.
  12. cokoliso

cokoliso Member

20200820_085606.jpg Resealing the popup just keeps becoming a bigger and bigger job. First, I was just going to put the eternabond tape over the trim where it meets the roof at each end - an inch on the trim and an inch on the roof. Then where the end cap meets the trim looked like a problem, so I figured I can just apply the 2 inch tape to cover half an inch on each side of the trim. Now after starting to clean this area up for the work, I see a small hole or two in the aluminum roof material, and that area has to be covered for sure. So my vision of just running a piece of eternabond tape across each end and lengthwise where those rails used to be is disappearing. May take more tape than I hoped, which might look kind of funky. Oh well, whatcha gonna do?

Joey Timms likes this.
  13. kewilpee

kewilpee New Member

Hi, so not to take the post off topic, but photos later in the post and the reference to Yakima I am trying to find the right parts to connect to my rails. I have a 2004 Cheyanne. looking at old literature and manuals the part numbers don't cross to what appears to be the correct parts. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

14. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

Yakima had a system for these rails:
    There was a small rectangular threaded "washer" that slid into the rails. You would then attach a "landing pad" to the "washer", then a "tower" to the "landing pad", and finally the cross bars to the towers. A quick look at their site doesn't provide much help, they've gone pretty hipster. Perhaps an email to Yakima would help. Be prepared to spend north of $500.00 if those "old" parts are still available.
    As an aside, I've got a Thule system that is over 30 years old. Attached to probably 10 different vehicles over the years. New vehicle- get new clips, and you're off. Yakima is the same, really high quality, it'll last you the rest of your life.

15. kewilpee

kewilpee New Member

I'm getting closer upload_2021-5-3_12-20-38.png

16. Qyota

Qyota New Member

I'm going to sell my original Coleman/Fleetwood Yakima rack and rails. You don't happen to live in MN/WI/ND do you?

17. kewilpee

kewilpee New Member

Hi Qyota, thanks for the post. I live pretty close Washington Iowa. And you?

18. Qyota

Qyota New Member

Turns out I'll be in Waterloo in a couple of weeks. If you want the rack/rails, would you be willing to meet there? Also, my Coleman is the Mesa model, which is one of the bigger ones I think. But I think the rails could be cut down if your roof is shorter.

19. kewilpee

kewilpee New Member

If you would like to continue this conv out of the portal you can email me at [email protected] and then we can exchange # to discuss. thanks, Kevin.