Camper value

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Matt T, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Matt T

Matt T Member

So I’ve got a 2008 Fleetwood Avalon for sale near me and I’m trying to find an accurate way to put a value on it. I looked at NADA but I’m not sure if there are any other sites to use also...

PS I’m only asking about NADA’s credibility because the one for sale is listed so much lower than what they said it’s valued at so I was concerned it’s not that accurate.

Attached Files:

2. myride

myride Well-Known Member

NADA is only reference, too many variables...time of year, location etc. to be taken as gospel. Best thing...go take a look....take a check list from this site, flashlight and cash in hand....you would be surprised how much better that deal will get with cold cash.

BUT....CHECK EVERYTHING!!! to avoid buyers remorse.
    The seller should be putting it up....down...and showing you everything works...fridge, stove(s), plumbing, electrical......
    If your unsure about anything said or works/doesn't, take your phone and post questions here while there.

Good luck!

Matt T and Raycfe like this.
  3. Matt T

Matt T Member

Yeah I actually saw the thread earlier today where someone created a checklist of items to look at and everything looked really nice and well maintained. I just need to figure out what a reasonable offer is...

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Too many variables, but I would go by NADA. Although if they are asking that much lower than NADA I'm questioning what is wrong with it. Unless they are just pricing it low to sell it quick. In my area our prices are about $1500 over NADA in the summer. As mentioned the critical is to check that unit over very carefully, don't trust the seller unless you are able to see it with your own eyes. My seller told me my unit was garage kept, however the drums were rust buckets. That's not a sign of garage kept.

5. myride

myride Well-Known Member

A reaonable offer is what your willing to pay vs what they're asking.
    You said he was below NADA value, does everything work? Is it clean? Can you tow it? If he's below NADA
    check Craigslist for your state and look for comparables.....go from there. But if it's in good shape and he's got it listed low so as to move it....you better make a decision.

6. myride

myride Well-Known Member

I've spotted them anywhere from 6900-9900 depending on location just using Google. The BIG question is what is your tow vehicle cause that's a BIG ASS trailer. No sense in even considering unless you can comfortably tow it.

7. Matt T

Matt T Member

My ram 1500 can tow it no problem. Yeah I honestly just think they have it listed to sell quick, perhaps it doesn’t help them to have started listing it smack dab in the heart of summer?

8. Matt T

Matt T Member

That is a damn big pop up though[8D]

9. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Most have already made there summer purchase. They sound like they just want to move it along....or, like mine...a divorce sale. I got my 2004 UTAH 2000.00 less than average cause he had to move it along due to divorce. I'd be looking at it ASAP and see if you might find out the whole story.

10. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Biggest ever produced from my understanding! ....can you say c*** of the walk?....lol

11. Matt T

Matt T Member

I looked at it tonight, it looks very well kept aside from the bottom plastic part of the entry door was slightly damaged from a kid and they said the hot water tank underneath the seat was cracked or damaged due to improper winterizing last year(is what they told me).

12. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Well...price out the repair parts cost....you probably won't find the trim piece...take that off the asking price and make an offer. Did you witness everything else work?

13. myride

myride Well-Known Member

You may also want to keep in mind the cost of replacing all the tires (safety call) that's 5 rims/tires.....not sure replacement cost in the U.S. but up here about 700.00 canadian.

14. Matt T

Matt T Member

That’s a good point...they might say the tires are fine but just for the peace of mind with my family I might want to just replace them to know that they’re good to go.

15. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Exactly

16. Matt T

Matt T Member

...that’s why you get paid the big bucks around here [8D]lol

17. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Wait a sec...we're supposed to replace the rims, too?

18. myride

myride Well-Known Member

LOL only if u want Ding it. He can always buy tires...pay for removal/ install 5 times....my bet is a combo is more financialy sound.

19. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Avalon has 'pretty' alloy wheels- not the stamped steel wheels on the replacements. I paid around 96 bucks per tire to have three new ones mounted and balanced two years ago. Niagara has the same alloy wheels.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  20. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Yes, they are fancy for a popup, aren't they!!?