Camper value

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Matt T, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Matt T

Matt T Member

Also, does anyone know what she’s talking about as far as the “hot water tank” underneath seating area at the front of the camper needing replacing. I’m not so much interested in how to do it as I’ll probably have someone else do anything plumbing related but trying to find a cost for the pet itself.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

The camper came with a 6-gallon water heater. That's probably what she's talking about. Depending on what model you have, a replacement unit could run between $300-600.

Matt T likes this.
  3. Matt T

Matt T Member

By the way admins, stop be if I’m going to far off the original topic here...she also just mentioned to me that the grey water tank gauge is broken which means that if it gets too full it’ll over flow. She said they have just worked around the grey water thing and the hot water issue over the years without fixing it(I will probably have it fixed if I get it). My question is how would one go about testing the water system for issues? Is it common practice for when shopping for a used privately owned camper to have them connect all the water valves and run it through everything? We plan on making another trip over there this week as yesterday was too hot to stay outside looking at everything for too long.

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I don't know that it's common practice to have the seller operate every system, but it should be. We see lots of folks come here saying "They said everything worked when we bought it, but..."

I don't think it's unreasonable for you to request that before you buy. You don't say how much they're asking, but I'd guess it's several thousand dollars. The seller should be able to accommodate your request to test ALL of the systems rather than take your word for it. Just my opinion.

O'ville and myride like this.
  5. myride

myride Well-Known Member

^^^ what eoleson1 said......

6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

The water heater (including its tank) is probably under the seats. It's likely quite easy to get at for replacement.

There is no gray water tank indicator. The gray tank is long and flat and a tank indicator wouldn't work well even if it had one. You just have to empty it whenever practical, be cognizant of water usage, and hope for the best.

There is a BLACK tank indicator that I'm pretty sure everyone ignores because it doesn't work well (and if you're curious, you can just look down the hole).

myride and Matt T like this.
  7. Matt T

Matt T Member

Thanks for all the help by the way guys. Fingers crossed I can work out a deal so all your assistance isn’t in vain.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

When I bought my first TT, the hot water tank was split open. It cost $600 to replace it and the water heater. Odds are if the tank is blown, the heater is bad, so be prepared.

Yes, have them connect everything and test everything. If they won't connect water, electrical, and/or propane there is an issue. If they tell you, "we can't hook up the water because of the cracked tank", then you're OK. If they tell you "we can't hook up the water because we put the hose away", then be concerned.

Think of it like a vehicle. If you go see one for sale and the seller says you can't test drive it because it's out of gas or the battery is dead, would you buy it?

Same with an RV. If they won't let you test how it all works because they put their water hose away, or they are out of propane, or the battery is dead, etc., then how can you know if it's worth buying.

myride likes this.
  9. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Did you get a second look at her?....the trailer I mean....lol

10. Matt T

Matt T Member

Not yet, I’m gonna go out there Saturday and see what I can get done. If all works out well I’ll keep you guys posted

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

How much?

12. Matt T

Matt T Member

She was asking 4,500

13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would not wait to long, someone may buy it before you. That seems like a really good price.

14. Matt T

Matt T Member

I’ve already offered her a number too with the plan to buy it upon a final inspection. She understands since the day I originally looked at it, it was about 100 degrees and we were both over it. She has accepted the offer and has it marked as sold.

Sjm9911 and 1380ken like this.
  15. Matt T

Matt T Member

I’ve already offered her a number too with the plan to buy it upon a final inspection. She understands since the day I originally looked at it, it was about 100 degrees and we were both over it. She has accepted the offer and has it marked as sold.

16. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Even that would have been a decent number with what needs to be fixed. Hope all works out for you.

17. Matt T

Matt T Member

Yeah we’re really excited about it if everything works out.

18. Matt T

Matt T Member

We are officially the proud owners of a camper guys!! She accepted my offer of 3,500 and they threw in everything including the weight distribution hitch and sway bar.

Attached Files:

eoleson1, Sjm9911 and myride like this.
  19. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! There should be plenty of room in that big boy.

20. myride

myride Well-Known Member

At that price even after your repairs you'll never loose on it! Congrats.