Camper Van Destroyed

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Remember the "Coyoteworks" Youtuber - his Jeep Rubicon went up in flames in the outback of Eastern Oregon. It happens, albeit infrequently.

Its a good reason to keep a minimal wallet on your person at all times. And back up your phone frequently. And keep your email in the cloud.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Probably blew a fuel line. If you notice when the guy hits it with the extinguisher, it lights up from the ground. And not from the bottem of the van. So my guess is a fuel line. I would be interested to know what the mechanics did to it. Not that it matters, stuff can break as soon as you leave a shop. Glad they and the FFs weren't hurt. They parked thier rig almost under to the overhead wires. At least from the angle I saw. The van was directly under the primary wires. It dosen't happen often, but the wires can heat up and break. Then they fall. An electrified peice of fire apparatus is not fun. Cars and vans go up like that all the time. Plastics and foams. Its like solid gasoline. The propane may have went off later, but was just pushing out the top. So, no explosion, thats really just in the movies. A tire may let go or a air shock, but thats mostly just noise. The propane tanks can go boom, but if it was open probably just feed the fire at a normal rate inside the van. But its a concern. Anyway, thats my take from the video.

Tarkus

Aug 15, 2021
Casper, Wyoming
Sad. He said his feet was surrounded with smoke while driving. Indicates fire started in engine compartment. To service those engines, you have to remove an internal cover between driver and passenger. If not buttoned up tight, smoke can enter the compartment. I would never buy that model of van.

Fire department always shows up too late. They can't predict a fire and be there to stop damage. All they can really do is protect life and property next to a fire.

Internal fire safe would be a good idea to protect valuables while traveling.

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
Probably blew a fuel line. If you notice when the guy hits it with the extinguisher, it lights up from the ground. And not from the bottem of the van. So my guess is a fuel line. I would be interested to know what the mechanics did to it. Not that it matters, stuff can break as soon as you leave a shop. Glad they and the FFs weren't hurt. They parked thier rig almost under to the overhead wires. At least from the angle I saw. The van was directly under the primary wires. It dosen't happen often, but the wires can heat up and break. Then they fall. An electrified peice of fire apparatus is not fun. Cars and vans go up like that all the time. Plastics and foams. Its like solid gasoline. The propane may have went off later, but was just pushing out the top. So, no explosion, thats really just in the movies. A tire may let go or a air shock, but thats mostly just noise. The propane tanks can go boom, but if it was open probably just feed the fire at a normal rate inside the van. But its a concern. Anyway, thats my take from the video.
There it is… blame the mechanic right away…. [:D]

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I blame the old camper. Lol. I did say things can fail afterwords. But they just got it back, and was less then a day after it was worked on. Yea, worth checking into. Kinda like if an electrician just worked on the house and it catches fire. Or a torch down roofer. Not saying they did it, but you have ro check it out.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Hate to say it, but its usally not a coincidence. Like , i just hooked up my battery and now the lights dont work in the camper, they worked fine before. Well, what you did, screwed something up. 99 out of 100 mike. Just the way it is.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
This seems to keep happening to YouTubers. There was another RV-er who had a big older pusher RV that burst into flames and burnt all their possessions to a crisp.

Seems like the millennial dream of "quitting working for the man and traveling around the country while being an 'influencer'" isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
Scary, crazy. As long as, both he, and she were not injured situation turned out fine. Incident proves that we never know when, or where it will occur. Material things can be replaced, Loved Ones can not. I agree, cause appears to be fuel related. Older vehicles have primary fuel system of rubber hose, fuel grade of course. May have dry rotted, as we see most times in the automotive industry repair shops. Be most careful my Fellow Travelers. See you on the trail.