Campers cancelling reservations

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020

Tarkus

Aug 15, 2021
Casper, Wyoming
With fuel cost rising maybe all our favorite spots will be less crowded.
My favorite place to camp is only 14 miles away.
Could be the opposite. What if the long distance campers pull back and now everyone wants the site that is only 14 miles away?

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
I hope many will cancel their reservations. I wanted to visit a lake in the pines and there’s no openings for the weekends from May-October. I hope someone does cancel. I’ve caught my limit there and PB, a big rainbow trout. Lol.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
At least where I’m looking weekends are still booked solid so don’t think the gas is making that much difference for reservations . Now weekdays are opening up more than I’ve seen the last two years. That just shows school is back in session so families are staying home during the school year again. I have however seen more 5th wheels with For sale signs. So perhaps gas has something to do with that.

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
Could be the opposite. What if the long distance campers pull back and now everyone wants the site that is only 14 miles away?
I was kinda thinking the same thing… guess it really depends on the area & campground. I camp much like @firepit - my go-to is about an hour away. Guessing not much will change for me… my sites are already reserved and it’s a busy-enough park anyway. Only time will tell!

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
So true about camping is cheaper… I spent $8 per day at the lakeshore each trip for the last 3 trips. Can’t get any cheaper other than finding FREE BLM land up north. Plus, the last time I stayed at a hotel, the room was musty, the carpet wet & moist and lots of road noises. It was $350 per night. But no other rooms were available at the time. Just my luck…

My bed is so comfy in the trailer… I can’t complain.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Last edited:

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
We got our national parks pass,so it's cheaper . A lot of state forest campgrounds take it too, so that helps. It's that darn bar in town with great food and beer they brew that get us.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
We got our national parks pass,so it's cheaper

I was about to comment that the nearest national park to me was almost 5 hours away and not really suitable for popup camping (Voyageurs), and the next closest after that was about 8 hours away (Badlands or Roosevelt), so the park permits didn't make much sense for us.

But then I noticed you're from Minnesota too. Where do you camp?

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
I was about to comment that the nearest national park to me was almost 5 hours away and not really suitable for popup camping (Voyageurs), and the next closest after that was about 8 hours away (Badlands or Roosevelt), so the park permits didn't make much sense for us.

But then I noticed you're from Minnesota too. Where do you camp?
In state forest campgrounds superior national forest, they take national park pass, another one that does is Beauty lake , it's part of Mccarthy Beach state park, but beauty lake takes the national park pass as well. We haven't stayed there, but we found it by chance, it's sort of near George Washington state forest. It was a very long drive in, but was really pretty.
When I mentioned superior, I should've said Fenske lake and it's one of the entry points for the boundary waters. 10 miles north of ely. I really enjoyed that one.

Susan Premo

Super Active Member
Nov 5, 2020
Minnesota
In state forest campgrounds superior national forest, they take national park pass, another one that does is Beauty lake , it's part of Mccarthy Beach state park, but beauty lake takes the national park pass as well. We haven't stayed there, but we found it by chance, it's sort of near George Washington state forest. It was a very long drive in, but was really pretty.
When I mentioned superior, I should've said Fenske lake and it's one of the entry points for the boundary waters. 10 miles north of ely. I really enjoyed that one.
Sorry, not Beauty, it's called Beatrice. I just spoke to our camp host friend, he said do you mean Beatrice? Yep!