Campfire Tripod

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by mpotapa, Feb 4, 2017.

1. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

My wife wants a campfire tripod. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would prefer something that can lower with ease. Any recommendations will be helpful, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

You can google "campfire tripod" and find a lot of ideas. I bought a hand forged one from someone that does civil war reenactments. I looked online and bought a hand forged trammel for adjusting the height of Dutch oven. My only regret now,is that I wish I'd bought a longer tripod,as our fire pit at home is taller. Stay away from cheap tripods,as they are made of thinner steel. Mine is made of 1/2" steel. Has a little weight,but won't buckle under a 14" dutch oven full of chili.

3. carisouth

carisouth Member

we bought one of the cheap tripods from Walmart. (we wanted to see if we would like it and actually use it). it has been used for 3 years now and still works fine. I don't use cast iron on it, so i don't know how well it would handle that much weight

4. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

5. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

https://colemanpopupparts.com/collections/just-for-fun/products/campfire-tripod-grill

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Looking into it, too. I am tired of using big rectangle grille over campground's fire pits and its not a stable way to grill steaks.

Ill see if I can find a good tripod holding the grille. I like the one that gardenbliss's suggested.

7. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

This is one of the things you get what you pay for. Keep it heavy duty. They sell them at a festival I go to for a decent price and that's where I got mine at.

It does work really well as you can maneuver it around your fire instead of finessing the fire to the constraints of the camp pit. I'd rather the pits not even have the grill attached to them.

8. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

i made this and painted it black also used two differant size conduit pipe and drilled holes into both for adjustments.. fun and proudfull project with lots of complements while camping and hanging a dutch oven on https://diyprojects.ideas2live4.com/2016/07/30/how-to-build-a-campfire-tripod/ get lots of s hooks to hang stuff tools extra pot lid liffter ect

Dusty road likes this.
  9. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

I use the Coleman 60in. It's tall enough and strong enough to hold a large cast iron pot over a camp fire.