Campground East of Springfield Ill

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by tlhdoc, Mar 18, 2016.

1. tlhdoc

tlhdoc New Member

I am looking for a place to stop overnight on my way to Springfield Illinois. I will be on I-74 west until Champaign, then on I-72. I would like to get at least as far as Decatur. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

2. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

I can think of a few you might want to do a search on.
    Weldon Springs SP 217.935.2644. If you pick this one, you could leave Champaign on I57 south for 2 miles and then take I72 west to exit 172 and then west on state Rt 10. The park is a mile or two east and a little south of Clinton off of Rt. 10. Clinton is 10-12 miles north of Decatur.
    There is also a private campground at the northern edge of Champaign and just east of I 57 (maybe exit 238). It's close to the Interstate so you may have a little road noise. I haven't camped there but it might be the least out of your way.
    There might be some private campgrounds closer to your route between Decatur and Springfield so hopefully someone from central IL can help. You don't say when you are planning the trip so running water, shower house, etc probably are not available in that area until around April 1 at the earliest.

3. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

There is a campground just outside of Decatur. Its called Friends Creek Recreation Area. It is a Macon County campground. Although I am born and raised from Decatur (don't live there now) I have never camped there. Its a simple park from what I understand but nice. It is just east of Decatur and would only be a few minutes north off of 72. Closer than Weldon Springs will be, but that is nice too. Not sure when you are coming through, but check the web for when they are open.

There is another member on here that goes there quite often. If he sees this he will chime in.

Good luck. Holler if you need to any info about the area.

4. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

Two other options right in/close to Springfield. The Double J CG, just south of town, and we have a KOA hidden in the sticks near Lake Springfield.