Campground in NY that is closest to transit to NYC (i.e. Statue of Liberty, Times Square)

Discussion in 'New York' started by steppinthrax, Apr 7, 2017.

1. steppinthrax

steppinthrax Member

So I'm a Marylander, I have no idea on campsites in and around NY/NJ. I have a family of 4. I'm planning sometime the end of next week. We have a coleman Utah, I will need to at least fill my tank and I will need Electrical hookup.

Our goal is to camp and then visit NYC. What's the best campgrounds for this. We don't want to get stuck with high dollar parking etc. We are willing to take a train into NY or utilize the train system.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I would be curious of the answers myself. I only saw one campground in NJ, but it was tiny place with sites. Ontop of each other.

3. steppinthrax

steppinthrax Member

Thanks if we can get some suggestions. I was just doing some research, it appears that there are some on Long Island. However, the cost for transit is expensive!!! (30 - 50 round trip) :eek: . Seems honestly not really worth it if you have to pay that for transit. Esp if you are taking 4 people.

4. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

We stayed at a KOA, it was near West Point Ny, they offer bus tours into NYC, also public busing from an outlet mall to city is close by, seems to me it was about an hour away from NYC.
    I have yet to find anything closer or better. The tour bus takes you to the major attractions, the public bus you would be on your own. If this is your first visit take the tour bus if you can be on your own use the public bus and subway system.

5. Sportside

Sportside Member

The closest is going to be Liberty Harbor in NJ - Its nothing more than a parking lot with water/electric hookups, but it is close to train and ferry lines into NYC. The other is the Newburgh KOA - they do offer bus tours to NYC, but I'm not sure if they do this early in the season. As for LI - yes transit on the LIRR into NYC can be expensive - and its a royal pain in the *** to bring a camper onto LI (you cant use the parkways)

6. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

We are planning a trip and found Mahlon Dickerson Reservation. Going call them and try to get more info www.morrisparks.net

7. pasobuff

pasobuff Active Member

Check out Croton Point Park in Westchester County. It is almost next to the Croton train station, and round trip fares into NYC are about $14/per person.

Not sure if they are open this early in the season though.....